Method of treatment

HI,
My mom has been diagnosed with inoperable PC. She hasn’t told us alot, except that it is large and wrapped around a main artery.
She has radiation 5 days a week, she is mid-way through that. (28 treatments) and has a chemo bag that she wears. I am curious does anyone know more about this type of treatment. She is very tired and stays nauseated. Plus she has lost a lot of weight. Weighs about 96 pds. and is 5-7 tall.
Any input would be appreciated.

Hi Rgroce

My wife was Dx’d in 2005. She didn’t do the chemo pump which is what i assume your talking about. it is a continoas pump of prbubly 5 FU.
The idea of the radiation and the chemo pump is to reduce the size of the tumor to a point of no vien involvment. If that can be done then she could be a canidate for the whipple.

if i can do anything let me know

slowhand

Thank you so much for your reply. I am so confused by all this. I
appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions.

Rita

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:pancreatic-cancer-cpt3876@lists.careplace.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 7:35 PM
To: Rita Groce
Subject: Re: [pancreatic-cancer] method of treatment

My husband was told he has a tumor in his pancreas about 5 weeks ago, and its been an emotional roller coaster ever since. Its like hurry up and WAIT !! He had an Ercp last week, it wasnt very informative, the doc didnt do a biopsy, He just recommends he have half his Pancreas removed and is referring us to a cancer center. He said even if it is Benign it would have to be removed. My husband has been very positive until after this procedure, Now he is moody and very upset, and we really didnt get any “different or Worse” news. I am finding myself physically sick with all the stress in our lives now. I just want my old boring life back. I want my husband to be well. I was just wondering if anyone else went through this, surgery before a cancer diagnosis was even made

I am currently out of the office and will not be checking email. I will return on Tuesday, July 17.

Hey,
We are on the same roller coaster, just different times. My Husband was
diagnosed last July. We were told there was a mass on the pancreas, and it
must be removed. They went in and tried to do the whipple procedure, but it
could not be removed, so after time to recoup he was on chemo.

He has been on chemo since last Sept. and has done very well. It is just
once you have all this ion your head, your head seems to enjoy playing games
with you.

I hope the surgery for you Hubby goes well and things get back into a
possitive for you both.

Judy
----- Original Message -----
From: “AngelLover” pancreatic-cancer-cpt3876@lists.careplace.com
To: petstylst@bellsouth.net
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 9:39 AM
Subject: Re: [pancreatic-cancer] method of treatment

My husband went in to have the whipple procedure and they could not remove it because it had already starting wrapping around the vein that goes to his liver. But now they are confusing us with the results to the CT scans because now they say it has spread but they think he’s had the whipple procedure? Then the oncologist calls and talks to my husband and says that they are going to start chemo and radiation and then the next day when the nurse calls me she tells me that hes only going to have chemo once a week for 3 weeks and then he will see the dr once a month??? this totally confuses me… We are at Vanderbilt and I have heard alot of good things but I feel like we just get told one thing and then something else ends up happening? I hate the hurry up and wait game… It’s really wearing on me…
Robin

Hi MsRob

I am sorry for what you and your husband are going thru.

I would suggest that you advocate for your husband, ask specific questions, of the surgeon, and the oncologist. Be sure they are both on the same page. It is not unusuall for some people to undergo a whipple and find that the surgery cannot be performed due to Vien involvment, or the spreading of the cancer. The typical course for action after an abortid Whipple due to vien involvment, is to order chemo, and or radiation in an attempt to shrink the tumor from around the vien in to allow another attempt.

I cannot stress enough to be sure your ONC is being as aggressive as he can be. If at any time you are concerned that he is not, seek a second opinion. There are many cancer centers who are not fimiliar with PC, and the various chemo options that are available. I would research all you can about your options.

I know this wears on the caregiver, and can overwhelm you. All I can suggest is enpower yourself with knowledge, and learn to know what you have control over and focus your attention on what you can control. I have been dealing with this for almost 3 years and it will overtake you emotionaly if you let it.

I am here if you have any questions

Slowhand

Hello,my mom was diagnosed w pancreatic cancer,stage 4 on June 27th,surgery not option,due to vein involvement,also her tumor was 5cm,she has had 2 rounds of chemo,but 3rd week,she could not get as her platelets too low,so hoping this next week she will be able to get her chemo,which she been tolerating well,however now she has blood clots in lung,and they have her injecting her self 2xday with warafin,was wondering if this common with this type cancer or due to chemo?She also on tarceva and the drug gentimacin,would appreciate any info,thanks,kgirl

hi K girl

Clots are somewhat normal with PC. as spinner has said.

they can offer meds to help with blood counts, ask the onc.

Spinner, have you just quit taking chemo? what is your situation?

please let me know

Slowhand

k