More than one child w/ hirschsprungs

I have a 16 yr old son who had hirschsprungs, he is great now, btw. I am ready to have another child and I wonder/worry about my next child having the same problems. 16 yrs ago the nurse had told me they had never seen a family that had more than one child w/ it, but I have seen a little bit of research that states that families can have more than one child w/ hirschsprungs.

Does anyone have any info, personal experience?

I had my son when I was a teen, so my next child will have a different father. I hoping that will be a huge factor. unless of course it was my genes that were the problem.

Thank you for any information

I have two children with HIrschsprungs. I was told the same thing when I got pregnant. I later became aware of several factors that can raise your chances of a second child being diagnosed. One is the length of segment involved in the HD child. My son has total colonic HD as well as complications of the small bowel. So our chances were higher than if our son only had several cm’s affected.

Hope this helps…
----- Original Message -----
From: sweetmonkeymailto:hirschsprungs-cpt3201@lists.careplace.com
To: Bushafamily@msn.commailto:Bushafamily@msn.com
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2007 7:36 AM
Subject: [hirschsprungs] more than one child w/ hirschsprungs

Hi, my 2nd son has HD when I became pregnant with my 3rd child, I asked his surgeon what the chances were for this 1 to have it as well. She told me that at that particular hospital they have about 150-200 families that have more than 1 child with HD. But then told me to keep in mind that they have several 1,000 families that receive care for HD at that hospital. She also told me that the worse it is in a previous child the higher the risk for another to be affected. It is also 5 times more likely to occur in boys than in girls. I am not sure if having a different father would be a factor or not. BTW, my daughter did NOT have HD when she was born =). I hope this helps ya some!
How old was your son when he potty trained? Was it difficult or easy & do you have any advice in this department? Anything you could tell me would be helpfull!!!

Thank you for the replies!

Michael was born with it, he needed a little baby enema to leave the nursery when he was born. He suffered until he was 8 months old. He needed emergency surgery to save his life. It was many years ago, I was young (a teen mom) and the whole ordeal had me a complete mess. But from what I can remember he never could really have normal BM, we gave him everything. They really just did not know what was wrong with him. They even once thought that he might have a tumor because they found a lump in his belly, the ultrasound showed that it was just rock hard poo stuck in his intestines. His pedi had suspected HD and he had a barium enema x-ray, but for some reason the test came back negative. He was 5 months old then. I felt like I was such a bad mom, I mean I was a teen mom and no one had any answers for me, so I figured that it just must be me and I was not doing what was needed to care for my son. That poor child I still remember how much pain he was in.

One day he was just so different, he tired to BM and vomit at the same time and nothing was moving, his body would strain, but nothing happened. We took him to the hospital and then we were taken out of town via EMS to a bigger hospital. He had emergency exploratory surgery at 8 months old to save him. I believe his intestines finally ruptured. He had a colostomy, however since this was not a planned surgery and he did not even yet have the DX of HD the doctor did not up far enough in the intestines. Michael still had lots of problems, bloating, gas, pain. He had to have two more surgeries to move his stoma /colostomy. When he was 4 yrs old he had his 4th and final surgery and his colostomy was reversed.

I fear that since the doctor (very experienced w/ HD ) was unable to find the unaffected part of intestine means that he made the colostomy at the “average” area of viable intestine and unfortunately Michael had more undeveloped intestine that the average HD child.

Michael was not too bad to potty train, he was 4 yrs old when he have the colostomy removed, so when he had his 1st BM in the PICU he woke me up saying… I HAVE TO GO … I HAVE TO GO!!! I ran and got the toilet chair and he went on the potty!!! Since he was older he was cognitively able to understand toilet training even though he had never experienced that “feeling back there”, wiping properly was a whole different issue!

He has not had a problem since and it’s been years since he has had any kind of testing or follow ups. Now he does have smellier gas than normal people and when he eats junk food it goes right though him, but over all I would not say that it’s a problem. I tell him that when he gets serious about girls he is going to have to cut out all the pizza, girls don’t want to kiss a farting boy!

Thank you for writing me and I know just what you are saying I felt the same way and Brittany went through just about the same agonizing trouble because they didn’t get it all the first time and they had to go back and take out all of her small intestines and her colon and make a j pouch for her, her poop is liquid now and she too farts and the smell is like no other and they last longer than any one I know, It doesn’t matter what she eats she has to go about an hour after she eats and she still does not know when she has to go, she doesn’t have any feeling back there. I enjoy talking to others that has gone through what we had to go through because it makes me feel like I’mnot alone, if you want we can stay in contact with each other.

Cheeks (Berttany's mom)

sweetmonkey hirschsprungs-cpt3201@lists.careplace.com wrote: