Morphine/opiates

There is a small chance that morphine/opiates can cause pancreatitc/SOD spasms (morphine does for me…not other opiates)…that is what has been discussed… a lot of drugs can cause spasms…

Thanks, Eric. How would I know if this was happening to me? If the morphine is working does that mean there aren’t spasms? I don’t think my pancreatitis is related to SOD problems, so does that mean spasms wouldn’t be a problem? I get so confused and depressed sometimes. Just when I think I have a plan to manage my pancreatitis, it either gets worse or something isn’t working right. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Like should I make another appt. with my pain dr and talk about something other than morphine for break through pain? Thanks to anyone who can help. Ellen

Hi again:

I’m packing it up and saw your post to Eric and I just wanted to tell you I didn’t mean to upset you about the morphine deal AT ALL. In fact, I just got back from the yahoo website and have sent a question out about the morphine post so hopefully will have more info for you tomorrow sometime. Maybe check on it tonight to see? I won’t get a chance to and again, I did not in any way mean to upset you so please accept my apology if I did.

Talk soon,
Cristie

Ellen…as far as i know, it is rare that morphine will cause problems…it gave me an acute attack (after months of using it for pain)…most people can tolerate morphine with no problem…in your case…i just dont know…you know how we all are diferent with pancreatitis/pain meds…i would suggest to try something different if spasms are a problem for you…it wouldnt hurt, huh…eric

Cristie: You didn’t upset me. Yesterday was just one of those days. Winter here has been long and hard. We just had another 7 inch snowfall. We seem to have one every week. Someone said that we have had the third worse year on record for snowfall. Someone mentioned that winter is hard for people with pancreatitis. I agree. Can’t wait for spring to arrive. I’ll keep checking on pain killers. Right now what I have works pretty well, but I know that tolerance is always an issue. Take care, Ellen

Thanks, Eric. I’m going to discuss new options at my next appointment with my pain doctor. He seems to be really good at listening to me and giving me what I ask for. I know that a lot of people are not that lucky and seem to get doctors who don’t listen. I’m thankful that I have not had that problem - yet. Take care of yourself and I hope you are having a good day.
Ellen

Hi Ellen:

I’m glad that you aren’t upset with me because I just wanted to let you know that morphine was being discussed as not a good idea for people with biliary disease and unfortunately, I think that means US. My morphine question has stirred a lot of interest on the Yahoo website so you might want to go there and just browse…

I do know exactly what you mean about Fort Wayne winter and this year has been particularly filled with snow. We had an employee fly into Indianapolis earlier this week and then drive to Fort Wayne and it took him almost 4 hours to get to Fort Wayne. Needless to say, he was not a very happy guy. Even Kansas City is having a lot of snow which I love but enough is enough and it really is time for Spring.

Didn’t you say that your blood sugars were running high and diabetes was a question? I know that diabetes is a dreaded disease but having read up on it as of late, they are making tremendous strides in testing blood sugars and easier ways of taking insulin. I was talking with a woman who had the tp/ict in December and although her islet cells have yet to “kick in”, and of course she is not particularly happy about that but she said that giving herself shots isn’t that big of a deal and that if her islet cells do fail to “kick in”, then she will get an insulin pump and although expensive, she said the pump is light years ahead of the shots. I had blood drawn about one month ago and that was the first time my sugars were elevated but I had them drawn again this week and they were within normal limits so I hope they stay that way.

I hope you have a pleasant and pain-free weekend.
Take care,
Cristie