Multiple Myeloma Bone Marrow Biopsy 70% Plasma Cells

Multiple Myeloma Bone Marrow Biopsy 70% Plasma Cells
Hi All,
Thank you for the help in advance. My Father, 83, has had Multiple Myeloma for 3 1/2 years. He was taken off Thalomid in January 2007 and put on Revlimid, now, June 2007, Revlimid appears to not be working and the doctor is taking him off that. His IgA count is 1900, it went as high as 2600, but is now steady at 1900 and not dropping.

He had a Bone Marrow Biopsy last week and the results are 70% Plasma Cells. The Doctor has now ordered a 2 Unit Blood Transfusion to help with his anemia.

I have searched for days but cannot find information on what the prognosis for longevity may be given the above information? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Kind Regards

I am not familiar with the counts of Heavy chain Myeloma. I will forward
your message to two members of our local MM support group who are familiar
with IGA Igg counts. They should be of some help to you

Regards: Dannyboy

-----Original Message-----
From: ottrader [mailto:multiplemyeloma-cpt4426@lists.careplace.com]
Sent: June 16, 2007 8:27 AM
To: depple@sympatico.ca
Subject: [multiplemyeloma] Multiple Myeloma Bone Marrow Biopsy 70% Plasma
Cells

Hi Dannyboy,
Thank you for your help, any information is appreciated. I’d also like to find out what the 70% Plasma cells would be indicative of, from what I’ve researched, it is unclear how bad this is, in other words, may he have a few years to live, or may it only be a few months?
Best Regards, ottrader

All I know is that in April 2004 I had 80%. Now it’s been between .02 and .06% abnormal cells. I’m not even sure if all these measurements are of the same thing. I have long felt that being very active has helped me get through treatments, so I hope your father is still able to, it could help. I think both 70% and 80% are very bad, but potentially survivable, apparently.

Hi, I’m not even sure if I know what I’m talking about, but my Dad was given a bone biopsy and they found it to be 90% in his bone marrow. They started treament immediatly. His doctor mentioned that even w/ a high % in the bone marrow the right treament can sometimes bring that way down, I guess he was encouraging him that it wasn’t impossible…

Anyywas from what we’re learning his condition is a very rare type of multiple myeloma that is aggressive and may not respond to chemo. He’s at the Mayo Clinic TODAY trying to find some answers to a path to start down. This is all very new and scary. My Dad is VERY active, I am hearing that that is a good thing. Just wanted to find a group who understands this stuff… it’s been difficult.

I understand the concern and scare, I feel the same way. I’m executor for my Dad so I’ve had to start planning the end, which hopefully won’t be for a few years, but could be sooner. So I’m trying to hold it together and do my responsibility.

ottrader, how long have you known? It’s only been 2 months for us. I have NO clue what we’re looking at as far as lifespan. My feelings are since we can’t do anything about this, we can’t just wish it away and treatment might not even help him, I think it’s best to just attempt to enjoy everyday we have left, make the most of every opportunity… I want to make memories, and not live in depression sulking over what I’m going to lose, I want to be thankful for what I’ve had, and still HAVE. I am the strong one also. I started one of those care pages for him so people can keep updated on his condition, its been very helpful to keep others informed and they can write him messages of encouragment. Any advice for me?? I don’t mean to take over your question… I just found this site last night and had to start somewhere. I hurt all over and just want the best support I can have, so I can be strong for him. I’m sorry your dealing w/ this also… it stinks!

“I want to make memories”
Yes, thats a good thing to do.

My Dad has had it for 3 1/2 years, I read without treatment lifespan could be as short as 6 months, with treatment I believe I read 2-5 years. I did read about someone who was still living after 10 years, but they were 65, my Dad is 83, so perhaps some forms of MM and age play a role.
I found this site helpful:
http://www.multiplemyeloma.org/about_myeloma/

Daddys Lil Girl . I was diasgnosed with stage three MM in 2000. I had a stem cell transplant in 2001. With stage three the supposed life span is three years even with the transplant. It has been almost 7 years now and I am just now in relapse. Another person I know with MM has been doing well for almost 20 years. My point is …don’t pay much attention to what you read about lifespan. I believe each case is individual. Each person’s MM responds to treatment in different ways.

Yes, Today was a difficult one for us as well. The Thalidamid isn’t working
as well as the Dr.had hoped. My husband( 61) has a bad chromosone as
well#13. Another bone marrow is schedule for July 2nd, and then we’ll have
too discuss the treatment options.
I understand you where you’re coming from- it’s so difficult!!!
Best wishes to you dad.

At 06:04 PM 6/21/2007 -0400, you wrote:

thanks for your thoughts… Dad just got out of his appt at the Mayo Clinic. I don’t even know where to begin explaining what he said. Dad has a VERY VERY rare type of it, he’s got something to do w/ a chromosome problem of 4 -14 not sure how to write it. They think his is a very aggressive type, but for now according to the tests, the rituxan seems to be doing something good as there was no advance in the cancer. So Dad is on his way home and hopefully we can wait on anymore treatment till the end of the summer. They didn’t give him a guess at lifespan, just told him there has been a lot of good research and advanced in this disease in the last few years. Glad to find you all, I will have lots of questions once I get a grasp more on what we’re dealing w/ and learn how to talk about it right. My Dad is 66. They said they don’t do stem cell transplants after 65, but w/ my Dad’s VERY good health they would do one if he got worse and needed it. The doctor discouraged against any donor transplants and said very often the body rejects it and the patient doesn’t do well following that treatment. take care everyone…

“girlfriend” sorry your having a bad day. I didn’t realize there were other chromosomes that give trouble to this MM. I know so very little right now, The doctor said my Dad’s case is so rare, there is only one other person on the records for ever having it. Comforting huh? Sounds like your hubby is a similiar age to my Dad. I wish my mom would get on one of these boards and find herself some help. I’ve had numerous miscarriages over the last few years, I found so much help on the forums from girls who had been thru similiar situations. It really helps to be around others who understand. How long have you known about your husbands MM? Is this the first drug he’s been on or one of many? Has he had bad reactions to taking it? My Dad feels horrible on the 3rd day following treatment, kinda like he’s got the flu. He also leaves the hospital dizzy and odd feeling. I THINK he’s going to be off treatments for a few months? so maybe he’ll go back to work? who knows…

We’ve know about the MM for 6 months. Thal is the first kind of meds that
he’s been on. Side effects are hard, stiffness in the legs, constipation
ect., but other then that he works the same schedule as before and remains
focused and up!
If things don’t get worse than this we’ll be very happy! Hope you mom is
doing OK, it’s not easy to be a care taker and see anyone you love suffer.
Best,

At 11:26 PM 6/22/2007 -0400, you wrote: