Multiple Myeloma Member Introductions

Please take a moment to introduce yourself to the community. Everyone here has something to share about Multiple Myeloma. For the discussion boards, we ask that you keep your full name and location private.

My wife was a Myeloma patient. I help an MM support group, and run a website for patients to post their Myeloma stories: http://mm.acor.org.

hi there, i work with the careplace team. i think careplace is awesome. i hope it will really help people to share, support eachother and learn. we can all use support and understanding and it is so important for all of us who have experienced difficulties to have a safe and informative forum in which to do so. thanks for visiting - it is really rewarding for all of us to see people reaching out to eachother - it is what careplace is all about.

Life is about health, family and friends, but sometimes its hard to keep focus on what is most important

I have multiple myeloma and I want to learn more about this cancer.

Welcome David. I might say more about multiple myeloma, but that sounds like a start of a different conversation. So, I’ll keep to this conversation and introduce myself.

I’ve been fighting multiple myeloma for many years, but I wasn’t diagnosed until 4/2004. I did about 6 rounds of DVD (doxil, vincristine, dexamethasone) before doing an autologous PBSC (peripheral blood stem cell) transplant 2/2005, but the cancer came back a year later. After several rounds of Velcade, effective at first, but not so much later as I had to reduce the dose due to neuropathy, I did another autologous PBSC transplant 11/2006, followed by an allogeneic unrelated mini-PBSC 3/2007. Signs so far are promising, but who knows.

I live near Seattle, work from home for IBM, am married and have a son who turned 13 while I was away for treatment. My motto, that I learned from my son’s hockey goalie coach, is “Fight Hard!”

Gary

Gallde, welcome, and condolences for your loss. I added your web site to the outside resources section of Multiple Myeloma.

I forgot to say, that during testing for the allogeneic transplant they discovered that I have alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency, so I added a page for that condition.

My twin sister was recently diagnosed with multiple myeloma.

Livestrong56, sorry to hear that your sister developed this disease. One treatment that is used a lot is a stem cell transplant, so it’s interesting that you are a twin. It must also be a lot more traumatic for you. If you are identical twins, then you could be an ideal donor, depending on a lot of other factors. Even if not identical, you could be a match. But, often the disease has to be brought under control by other methods first, and sometimes those methods work so well that a stem cell transplant is delayed indefinitely. We’ll hope for the best.

Hi…I am a female Myelomic from Calgary, Alberta,Canada… I was diagnosed inSept.2004…Had a Stemcell transplant on March 10,2005…currently on a clinical study of Revlimid and Dexamethasone. I am interested in connecting with other people living with Myeloma and how they are surviving having a diagnosis of an incurable disease. I am a very up-beat and positive person…not depressed…only sad!!

living withMM since 06/03. 4 VAD + tandem SCT.Relapsing and wondering what to do next.

Interested in others with Multiple Myeloma. I learn alot through other’s messages.

I would be intereseted to hear from anyone who is a care giver to someone with Multiple Myeloma .

My name is Brenda, I am a 41 year old wife and mother of 2 children ages 14 and 7. I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma in February 2005. Since that time I have had 3 stem cell transplants. 2 Autologous (using my own cells) and 1 Allogenic (using a donor which was my sister). I achieved remission all times but only for 3 months each time. I currently have numerous plasma cytomas growing throughout my body. I feel great and have lots of energy but the Dr’s cannot get these cytoma’s under control yet. I wake up every morning and thank God I’m still here and plan to be for a long time.

I am interested in Multiple Myeloma becaused my mother-in-law had this type of cancer as well as friends I know.

So far I have what has been diagnosed as a plasmacytoma in my left radius. Of course the odds are that this is a precursor to MM. What I have appears rare and I am wondering if anyone has seen anything like it.

I have a friend with this condition, and I want to support her and learn more about this condition.

Hi, I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma in April 2006. I’m only 37 years old and had an Auto SCT in November. I currently have a CR and am researching a mini-allo with an unrelated donor.

I am a male caregiver, caring for my spouse who has MM. Interested in other caregiver experiances and dealing with side effects of Thalidomide

55 m had mm 3 yrs had 2 stem cell transplants t mgh boston. take 50 grms thalidomide per day doin well though i have many bone problems from mm