Muscle Spasms and CP

I was wondering if anybody else is having severe muscle spasms?

I’ve been recently diagnosed with CP, the pain and nausea are at a tolerable level right now but the muscle spasms have been increasing in numbers per day and intensity. I could really use some advice on what to do, i take levbid for them but it seems to not be working.

Hi my name is Mrs Barb (Barb) low and behold I just tried to call my FD to talk to him about the spasms that I have been experiencing, I have had CP for almost 4yrs. and Never have had spasms like this ever! So if you do hear something back will you please email me and let me know? or just put a post out and i can read it from there ok…If I hear something I will let you know as well.

Try and have a pain/spasms free evening and also A very Happy Thanksgiving…Barb :slight_smile:

Hi Barb:

I saw your post and wanted to respond while this is fresh in my mind but I have had biliary spasm for quite some time now, AT LEAST as long as when I first experienced acute pancreatitis (4-5 hours following ERCP). I can remember sitting in church and having significant spasm way up and under my right rib cage, so severe that I had to stand up and try to work it out (which I did). I have taken Hyoscyamine twice daily for about 2-3 years. My family practice doc prescribed them for what she calls biliary “sludge”. Speaking of my doc, I’m not really sure where I would be without her help. None of the GI guys I’ve gone to have ever helped one iota, imagine that …

Anyway, just wanted to answer the “spasm” post in case it helps you guys out. Gotta go for now, but hope you’re feeling okay. I will talk to you again very soon but in the meantime, have a very Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Grace

Thank You, and to ALL Have a very nice Thanksgiving and don’t over eat, we will only hurt
ourselves-LOL Also a quick note to everyone as well, My mother is having breast surgery
on Monday the 26th, I have been running for two weeks straight and it is catching up to me
very very quickly…I will rest after I know my mother is out of the woods…Take care, and
thanks for the post grace…I have lots of spasms in my right/left rib area never thought
it was connected to my CP or my CL ,uuuuummmmmmmm better check into that one. Also I go to
Omaha, Ne on Feb. 25, 08 for consultation for my ERCP procedure, scared silly :frowning: Ok gotta
get some sleep it’s off and going early again, My future son in law is having surgery to, but
his is Tomorrow at 7am…Ok will wright more later…Have a pain free day…With Love,
Barb :slight_smile: HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE-THINKING OF YOU ALL…

thank you all for your replies. the hyoscyamine is the generic version of levbid, my other gi doc prescribed it. i too take twice daily(morn and evening). i’ve had pain under my rib cage too for years(only it’s on the left side), it never occured to me that it could be related to CP. my current gi doc was thinking about increasing the dosage for hyoscyamine but hasn’t yet. hope everybody has a great thanksgiving holiday!

Barb & All of You:

Another little tidbit on biliary spasm: Approximately 5 years ago, my X-internal medicine doc told me that the “pain & spasm” I was feeling up and under my right rib cage w/radiation into my upper right back was due to my “large breasts & obesity”. He later changed his mind and diagnosed this pain as fibromyalgia, but IN ADDITION to my large breasts and obesity. I wonder what he would say it is now that I only weight 120 lbs. I am telling all of you, there is a huge amount of ignorance in this medical world we must rely on to help us. I do not depend upon or trust any of them except for my primary doc.

Everyone out there on Careplace, have a very happy and pain-free Thanksgiving!

Grace

SPASMS’S!!!
I get them in my pancreas and my leg muscles. I also get terrible headaches. When I went to the emergency room (I ended up in the hospital for 5 days, had another stent put in) they hooked me up to an IV and the spasms, muscle cramps and headache all went away. I know I was dehydrated. I don’t know if it was dehydration or something else. All I know is that they have slowly come back. When I pinch the skin on the back of my hand to see if I am dehydrated, it goes back down slowly. And I drink about 92 ozs. of water a day!! I do have hyoscamine here but never take it. I thought that was for IBS. I will have to ask my doctor about that one.

Intereeeesting! Veeery Intereeesting!!

Vonnie

Oh MY, I thought that was only used for depression??? I took that about 20 years ago for depression and hated IT, all I could do is sleep sleep sleep…I sure hope this works for you as it didn’t do anything for me, but again it was 20+ years ago…Good luck hon, have a great thanksgiving and a pain free one as well…Barb :slight_smile:

UPDATE-doc put me on amitriptylin(elavil-50mg), so far so good-no spasms today so far! keeping fingers crossed

Vonnie be careful about the water intake, two of my family members were told to only drink the recommended amount of water daily, sub with gatorade or something with vitamins or cals. Also we don’t need more problems with our sodium levels being to low it causes light headedness, dizziness, pass out reactions. My brother works with a man that just fell to the ground for NO reason, they called 911 and that night that is what he told my brother that was wrong “He drank TOO much WATER” and to slow down on water intake…So be very very careful…Have a great Thanksgiving and hopefully a pain free one…Barb :slight_smile:

Thank You Grace for the info…Your right I don’t trust alot of them either. I have just come to the trust level of my Oncologist and My family doctor. I am having a consultation with a doctor in Omaha in Feb. he is the nephew of my Oncologist he is talking to me/hubby about having an ERCP done, yes I am scarred, but with all that has been happening in my family this is something i need to follow up on…Have a Happy Thanksgiving to you and Your Family…Barb :slight_smile:

some doctors are using it in low doses to help calm the muscles down. it worked for about half of today and then they came back full force. i’m afraid to call and tell the doctor b/c he usually puts me in the hospital and i just got released to go back to work.

Let me add to this that I have had a definite problem with potassium
as well. Try to keep these levels proper, terrible leg muscle and arm
muscle cramps.

Anyse

For all of you who are suffering with Potassium deficiency and cramps I
have a suggestion. I have tried and it is working well for me. I have
mentioned about it earlier but no one showed interest about it.
Coconut water has lot of Potassium and it helps with dehydration too.
I’m ordering the Coconut water in Indian stores and we buy in boxes.
They come from Brazil and it tastes so good, it has no fat and lot of
Potassium so it has taken care of cramps totally. It clears the Urinary
tract infections also if you drink them regularly. It is recommended by
doctors in Asian and wherever it is available because it is not
contaminated and totally clean and needs no filtering. It is naturally
protected from contamination by the layers of Coconut and you might have
seen many people drink the coconut water directly from coconut with a
straw which is so safe. Now some companies are bringing the same kind
of safe, no fat, full of potassium drink which tastes very good and
helps the thirst, dehydration, low blood pressure. My low blood
pressure has become normal, my cramps in the legs have gone.

Try for few days and you will know the difference. It has Electrolytes
so that helps the dehydration. When I get attacks and try to stay home
I used to stop taking everything except pushing water through the
feeding tube. But now I’m able to sip the coconut water even when I’m
recovering from the attack. It really is helping me to get better soon.

This is the website to see the information about something which is
helping lot of chronic people and they are promoting it as the natural
sports drink because it has Electrolytes it helps the sports people
better than other drinks which are made artificially.

Mrs. Barb,

Thank you for the infor on the water. I will take it a little easier. Maybe that is what is causing my cramps and headaches. I never really thought about the water washing out the sod. and pot.

Vonnie