My story - Just looking for support

Good Afternoon!

Im soo glad to meet you as well as sorry that u are going through this thing called achalasia. I came down with what we folks call a for shor 2 to 3 years ago during the winter time I was eating tums every day 2 whole packs @ the time I was thinking i had hartburn then my coworker told me that i realy needed to go to the docs that it might be a that i might be getting ready to have hart problems.

So I did go to the doctors and the doctor told me that the lneing seperating my lungs from m chest was inflamed and put me on some drugs but as time went on I did not get well I got very bad could not Drink eat and lost a lot of lbs.

Then I went to another doctor and she was telling me that I had Achalaia not know what it was I was thinking that sh was joking with me but when she looked at me and saw that i was thinking she was joking she then told me that 1 in 1000 persons come down with it.

In my case it too then 1 whole year to do anything for me but test finaly last April they sent my case to a doctor at Gw Hospital by The name of DR Traceodius might have spelled his name wrong he in turned looke at all my test and did see that m case was very bad I saw him this time last year and that day he told me that I am going to have my operation on April 2,2007

I looked at him so dumb like that I could not beleave that I was about to get what was wron with me fixed well whent into the hospital on April the 2 with the understanding that I was only going to be in there 4 a week but the I started leaking and bleeding inside so the had to rush me back ino the Or for an second surgery soo I was very sick with A then in october I found out thet du to the 1st 2 operations that my stomach and my colen had whent up into my ches and I had to have another operation. SO ALL TOGETHER i WAS IN THE HOSPITAL FORTWO MONTHS .i NOT SAYING THAT YOU WILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS THAT I had but i want to be real with you so that u will know that even if u have one operation for a its not going to be a walk in the park you will never be able to eat chips ,pineapple hard shell tacos,and you will nevr eat a full late of food like you use to.

But might I recommend a very good doctor that did my last operation and has be dong Achalasha operations for over 17 years his name is Dr. Brody he is at Gw hospital if you go onto gws hospitals websit and type in his name you will get his numbers sorry i dont have them right next to me now.

But hey if you would like to talk sometime and maybe meet out some place to talk and i can fill u in on moor it will be helpful to know someone who is near by that u can lean on that is going to understand wha u are going thru and soon to go thru my number is my name is Daniel i usually go to bed around 8:45 pm and get home around 5pm

Daniel-

Im sorry you had such a hard time.I do hope things are better now.

I do have to disagree with you though about what you said people will never be able to eat.
My son has had the lapro myotomy and also the open myotomy. He can eat anything he wants.There is nothing that kid cant eat.The only thing he has any trouble with at all and its minimal, is peanut butter and jelly.Thats it! Then he still eats it but with more liquid than normal.

This will vary from person to person though.Some people can eat like theres never been a problem while some cant even eat pasta or breads. I just dont want people thinking thats the case for all patients cause its not.It will just depend on the individual as to what they may or may not be able to handle.

Tonia

Im sorry I should have been more clear what I ment tosay is that one will not be able to eat like they use to meaning one can not pile there plate hight and alo the Doctors do tell one not to eat chips food thathas a lot of Acid and some other things and I know for me I had the myopethy operation so I know

For every 100,000 population, there will be one new case per year. 1 in 100,000, not 1 in 1,000.

Yes, it is 1 in 100,000. Actually some sites have even said 1 in 200,000 in the U.S.
Achalasia is a rare disorder…

Tara wrote:

Yes, it is 1 in 100,000. Actually some sites have even said 1 in
200,000 in the U.S. Achalasia is a rare disorder…

Right, the incidence rate is usually listed as 1 in 100,000 and
prevalence rate is usually listed as 1 in 10,000. Incidence being new
cases and prevalence being all cases.

notan