My TMAU Test Results

Hello. These were the results that I received a while back ago. I was really hoping for someone here that can give me feedback on these results, since I am unsure about them since I did not do a choline load prior to testing. I just followed a regular diet.

TMA = 1.1 umole/mmole creatinine
TMAO = 19.9 umole/mmole creatinine
% TMAO = 94.6%

Reference Ranges (pre-choline load):

TMA = 0.12 - 2.10 umole/mmole creatinine
TMAO = 9.0 - 244 umole/mmole creatinine
% TMAO = > 85%
I would REALLY appreciate any feedback. I am so worried about these results, mainly because of the TMAO value. I thought it was good but someone had said that it is bad to have a lower level (mine was 19.9, obviously).

Hi. Your values indicate that you are negative for TMAU, although -since you say that you did not choine load- the results may be a false-negative. It is important to follow the protocol and load with choline so that intestinal bacteria have the ability to produce tma and, subsequently, the FMO3 enzyme activity can be assessed by measuring the micromoles of tma/tmao per millimoles of creatinine.

Your %TMAO is excellent, but this tells you nothing if you did not choline load. The reason you must choline load is so there is tma production and subsequent oxidation by the FMO3 enzyme into tmao. By not choline loading, the test is useless because nobody will have excessive tma/tmao concntrations with choline restriction coupled with trimethylamine avoidance.

It is not necessarily bad to have a low tmao level. This will certainly be the case when restricting choline/tma. Although, if a choline challenge test is undertaken and tmao levels are low relative to tma levels, then the diagnosis would likely be positive for TMAU. But even that is not certain, especially since cruciferous vegetables and many other chemicals compete for catalyzation via the FMO3 enzyme.

Ultimately, the test is useless if the protocol is not followed and you do not choline load.