Natural medications

is there any natural (ie. non prescription ) medications out there that can help with depression and bipolar disorder so that i dont feel so dependant on my pharmacy the rest of my life?

Hi Elisabeth. I’m told that there are various substances on the market that supposedly can help the body cope with various types of mental illnesses. But it’s a controversial topic and many MD’s question the effectiveness of them, saying that it’s the placebo effect that cause people to feel better after taking natural supplements.

If there is an NMD (Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine) in your area, I suggest you arrange for a consultation with him/her and then decide for yourself if it’s worth the cost (most insurance companies won’t cover the treatments). Also, talk to your current doctor to see what his/her feelings are on this subject.

In the end, though, you will have to go either one route or the other. Please don’t try to combine natural supplements with the pharmaceutical ones you are currently taking. It could cause serious side effects.

You can always look up holistic or naturopathic therapy on the web, but be cautious about the accuracy of the information that you read.

Good luck to you.

John

Elisabeth,

The other night I was talking with a nurse over the phone about how my health is going. I mentioned dealing with depression and she told me that Vitamin B12 helps to bring up the moods of SO MANY patients suffering with depression. It’s a start. I’m willing to try it, I mean what can it hurt, it’s a natural vitamin and I’m sure it has no side effects and won’t interact with other medications.

Give it a try, or do your own research on it before making a decision. Ya never know, something that simple could really give you a boost.

It was suggested to me because I refuse to take antidepressants. I’ve been on them before and they did more harm than good.

Good luck,
~Angela

omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids may also help. there have been a lot of studies. for a good link to start:

http://www.mcmanweb.com/article-15.htm

Hi. I am stable on Lexapro, Prozac and Cymbalta and then use Trazodone to sleep. But I get this black cloud over my head 10 days before my period. I know my hormones have shifted, especially, progesterone. I still want to get off my meds. I know how to do it safely, with a pdoc and from this site I am learning which natural supplements to add in. But I am really impressed with the person who has been able to refuse meds. I am worried still about the carpet in my apartment. My land lady says I can have it removed professionally but that costs 150.00 then I need to set aside 450 to re-install it when I move out. New carpets have carcinogens like formaldehyde. I have a great air purifyer called an aranizer.com so that has helped with the chemical out-gassing. I am not dizzy like I was when I first moved in, just occasionally. Summer time is better because I keep all the windows open and 3 fans on from the moment I wake up until I go to sleep. I am concerned about ultimately paying 600.00 to take care of the carpet ( I live on disability insurance right now). But if it is going to help my health, then it is worth it…right? Is it worth using the credit card? I have daily symptoms of headache or sore throat, allergies, fibromyalgia pain…etc. I did have a day recently without symptoms! I celebrated that day. I don’t work right now due to sensitivity to stress, depression, anxiety, physical symptoms. And I read on Careplace in one of the posts that immune system may be related to depression. I really think that is true for me. I was abused as a kid, but always reached out for some happiness. I don’t think my depression got beyond disthymia until I became physically ill from Chronic Fatigue Immune Deficiency Syndrome. The episode that started the Fatigue/Immune problem at a severe level was that I had an impacted and infected wisdom tooth when I was 18. They took it out with me awake, which was like someone hammering at my jaw with a hammer and chisel, then they gave me anti-biotics. I reacted with a hives like rash all over my body and a yeast infection from hell. It was a total nightmare. Me and my body have never been the same since. I would love feedback/suggestions about handling PMS. Any ideas about the carpet are welcome. Any similar stories about anti-biotics? One sure source of my depression now is a sense of shame from not working and living off disability in poverty. Also I have been very health-compromised for the past 18 years. I am sick of it. I am taking classes at a community college in paralegal studies because if I get my certification, I may be able to find a way to work from home. I am good at drafting legal documents. You have to work under the auspices of a bonafide lawyer though. I don’t know if I will get my health back. I feel ill-equipped to deal with life in the big city. I feel sad and lonely. I have been on a sleep schedule where I go to bed late and sleep til noon. I am in the process of experimenting with going to bed and getting up a few minutes earlier each day. I read a book by Deepok Chopra on sleep which suggests bed by 10 pm and up by 7am. I have not done that since highschool. But I would like to see if it improved my overall outlook on life.And so…I go to bed.