Need information on citalopram

Hi I need to know where I can find out about an antidepressent I have been put on a web site or something

the antidepressant is called citalopram if any one can give me any information on it or if anybody has been on it how does it effect them

I have never heard of that one myself, but you could put in your search engine crazymeds.com or pharmacy.com or antidepressant medications and I am sure that you will come up with it. Hope this helps, Karen

Vickie, I agree with Karen. Those are the two better informed website. I use then alot.
~Sammi~

VickiM,

Citalopram Hydrobromide (or Celexa) is an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) antidepressant. It can also be used for dementia, smoking cessation, alcohol abuse, OCD and diabetic neuropathy. It is one of a number of SSRI’s on the market today that is used to treat depression. Unless you were just given samples from your doctor, you should have received a description of this med from your pharmacist. If they were samples, ask your doctor to tell you more about it. You need to know its possible side effects as well as its possible interactions with other things. For instance, along with Zoloft (also an SSRI), I’m taking Zocor for my high cholesterol. Because of this, I need to have semi annual testing for my liver. Also, I must stay away from grapefruit products as the combination could cause a bad reaction!

Again, I strongly suggest you ask your doc for more information on celexa and also what symptoms you should be on the lookout for. To supplement this info, you can google the word celexa and you should get a number of sources on the web. Good luck and hugs,

John the Pooch

VickiM,

Citalopram Hydrobromide (or Celexa) is an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) antidepressant. It can also be used for dementia, smoking cessation, alcohol abuse, OCD and diabetic neuropathy. It is one of a number of SSRI’s on the market today that is used to treat depression. Unless you were just given samples from your doctor, you should have received a description of this med from your pharmacist. If they were samples, ask your doctor to tell you more about it. You need to know its possible side effects as well as its possible interactions with other things. For instance, along with Zoloft (also an SSRI), I’m taking Zocor for my high cholesterol. Because of this, I need to have semi annual testing for my liver. Also, I must stay away from grapefruit products as the combination could cause a bad reaction!

Again, I strongly suggest you ask your doc for more information on celexa and also what symptoms you should be on the lookout for. To supplement this info, you can google the word celexa and you should get a number of sources on the web. Good luck and hugs,

John the Pooch

Oh, Pooch, You are SOOO Good!!

I have asked the doctor and read what the pharmacy gave me and even googgled it. I guess I am just uneasy about taking it because what you hear on the news and TV about these types of medication I have avoided being treated for depression and anxiety until now. Thanks for responding to my question.

I have been taking citalopram for about a year now. According to my therapist, I take a relatively low dosage, but I have had no side effects, other than some nausea when I first started taking it. That went away after a few weeks. My doctor presented it as a very safe drug with few and rare side effects. I had asked a couple of times about whether it was safe to take this or that while taking the citalopram and he said that I didn’t have to worry about any over the counter medicines or other prescription drugs. As for its effectiveness, I’m not sure. It seemed to help at first, along with therapy, but I have recently experienced some problems again (including suicidal thoughts), so I don’t know. I think it was life stresses that did me in though and nothing to do with the medication. A big plus is that citalopram is generic and so is inexpensive. Hope it works for you!

Hi Vickie…while it is great to get input from others about their experiences with a certain antidepressant, I hope you will keep on mind that when it comes to these things, it is so specific to the individual. I know of no antidepressant that does not get wonderful reviews from some…terrible from others. Good luck, sadkitty

SadKitty is SO right about that!!!

I had one strange experience with the medication I normally take around 6 or 7 pm with my dinner I forgot to take it then around 9:30 I got all shaky my heart was pounding my I realized I hadn’t taken it I got better awhile after I took it bu t is this a normal reaction for these type of medication?

Vickie...sounds scary. The question that you asked really needs to be directed to your doctor. It is so important to pay attention to any possible problems you have with your meds, and whoever prescribed this one to you is the one you need to talk to. I'm sorry if I sound harsh...certainly don't mean to... but this is so important. No matter how much your fellow CarePlacers might care, none of us are in any position to answer this question. Hugs, sadkitty