New and needing help

Dear All,
Firt time in a RA Forum and not for the best reason. I am from Portugal and my wife (age 30) has had RA for the last 15 years or so. The disease is more or less controlled but a new adversity has arrived: the tendon of the thumb of the right hand has broken (the one thet controls the tip of the finger) and it is now impossible to control that part of the finger.

We have visited two very good hand doctors here but they have different opinions. One of them says that she should fix it and nothing more (this is the doctor recommended by her RA doctor); the other says she should do a more aggressive surgery since the rist is also very damaged - he also says she should fix the fingers of the otehr hand afterwards, because they are very “winded” already (this is perhaps the best surgeon, but his opinion is not supported by the RA doctor, who says it will be a minor improvement and everything will be back the same in a few years).

The question is she is only 30, so we really do not know waht to do! Has anyone had successfull/unseccessfull hand surgeries? Any suggestions from people who have faced similar situations?

By the way, any other forum/group where I should post this message?

Kind regards and thanks,

ub44

A colleague of mine had surgery to straighten her fingers bent by years of RA. Her pain in recovery was intense. Also her hands became knarled within 1 year after surgery.

Has anyone mentioned finger splints and wrist wraps made of neipreme(sp) also u could see about getting her hand splints to wear at night.These I might think to be some options to buy u time in seeing how bad or not so bad it will become. Also may just be what u need and not go any further in ur quest to help her hands and fingers and wrists. I had to get a referal from my doc to an occupational therapist to get these things. I have been using them for about 6 yrs now and it has really helped me !
Good luck!