Hello.  I am a new member.  I have had IBS for about 4 years now.  Mine seemed to develop after a couple of episodes of food poisoning and slowly got worse.  I experience a lot of bloating and cramping and the biggest issue i have is urgency.  When i have to go i really have to go.  It has caused me a lot of problems.  i work from home cause i dont really like to drive very far from home.  I had a really bad episode in the car after eating something bad in Mexico and that experience has completly tramatized me.  I have a lot of anxiety whenever i have to drive places and am always freaked out that i am going to get stuck in traffic and not be able to get to a bathroom.  I wonder if anyone else is having these same issues. 

I also have had several instances when i was cramping up or having D that I have actually fainted, so it really freaks me out.  Anyone else experience this?

Would love to hear from anyone that might be having the same problems.

Thanks

Hello Katrina,

You are not alone I have problems with my bowels and bladder too.

I also suffer from anxiety caused from post traumatic stress. My incontinence is from a different cause but the results are the same.

I find the large size poise pads help alot. They buy me a little extra time to get to the bathroom and are fairly good at absorbing most of the oder that comes with these accidents.

I also find it helpful to carry a large purse with what I call my emergence kit which includes an extra pair of underpants. extra poise pads. A bottle of oust , fabreeze or one of the other fabric fresheners. They are great for getting rid of any oders that might be in my outer garments.

I hope this helps. You are more then welcome to write me anytime you need to talk or just vent a little.

Take care of your self. You are special just because you are you.

Hugs from grannygray

Wow!!! so glad I found this thread!  I have ulcerative colitis and know the fear!  I just bought a NEW car, always used in the past,  and I keep a heavy duty towel folded in half on the driver's seat.  It's good to know about the poise pads, I'll stop at the store tomorrow.  After the NASA story about the former astronaught who wore diapers for a long road trip, I've heard every joke about wearing diapers there are.

I think that a urine issue may be a bit different issue than the big D!  But I might try the poise pads when I am facing a long day.  Thanks for the info, Katrina.

I don't get to this forum often, you can usually find me on the IBD thread.  I have had anxiety issues since before they called it that.  In college they called it panic attacks, had plenty of those!!!

My quack GI said that I was "stressed and depressed" because I had IBD.  He gave me Rx Klonopin, and that helps.  I only take it when my insides start to feel "squirmmy" inside.  I have discovered that it can relieve a lot of the feelings that I need to move my bowels when I really don't need to.  The klonopin seems to dull the fireing of the nerve endings, so it calms the  the cramping in the gut.  My pcp will not refill it, I have to get it from my GI.  Anyone know of something that works better to CALM the gut???

I'm a little bummed because I think that some people are abusing some Rx that would help other people.  I only take allergy meds, HRT (thank G-D)and Colazal.  All the rest are supplements.

If anyone has a good gut drug  that works, let me know...

I will meet again with my mentee (Iam a mentor of a 14 teen year old Vietnamise young lady, whose parents don't speak or understand English) tomorrow.  She was very embarrased that her father, who is probably in his mid to late 60'scould not communicate directly.  Her mother is instituionalize at Bishop Homes  I hope to take Suong to see her mother this month.

Wow!!! so glad I found this thread!  I have ulcerative colitis and know the fear!  I just bought a NEW car, always used in the past,  and I keep a heavy duty towel folded in half on the driver's seat.  It's good to know about the poise pads, I'll stop at the store tomorrow.  After the NASA story about the former astronaught who wore diapers for a long road trip, I've heard every joke about wearing diapers there are.

I think that a urine issue may be a bit different issue than the big D!  But I might try the poise pads when I am facing a long day.  Thanks for the info, Katrina.

I don't get to this forum often, you can usually find me on the IBD thread.  I have had anxiety issues since before they called it that.  In college they called it panic attacks, had plenty of those!!!

My quack GI said that I was "stressed and depressed" because I had IBD.  He gave me Rx Klonopin, and that helps.  I only take it when my insides start to feel "squirmmy" inside.  I have discovered that it can relieve a lot of the feelings that I need to move my bowels when I really don't need to.  The klonopin seems to dull the fireing of the nerve endings, so it calms the  the cramping in the gut.  My pcp will not refill it, I have to get it from my GI.  Anyone know of something that works better to CALM the gut???

I'm a little bummed because I think that some people are abusing some Rx that would help other people.  I only take allergy meds, HRT (thank G-D)and Colazal.  All the rest are supplements.

I will meet again with my mentee (Iam a mentor of a 14 teen year old Vietnamise young lady, whose parents don't speak or understand English) tomorrow.  She was very embarrased that her father, who is probably in his mid to late 60'scould not communicate directly.  Her mother is instituionalize at Bishop Homes  I hope to take Suong to see her mother this month.

Morning Katrina~

I received your E-Mail from careplace where I am also a Member.

The problem you are having with IBS is actually something my Husband has experienced in the past.  He suffered with this for 20 years before he found a Dr that "Finally" Helped him and my Husband says saved his Life!!

The Dr put him on Celexa and also had him start taking Fibercon (Yes over the counter)  2 Tablets twice daily with a Full glass of water.

The Dr told my husband NOT to stop taking either the Celexa or the Fibercon~ Even if he was still cramping etc. that it would Balance itself out.

Katrina today my Husband is a "New" Man ` He suffered with this for 20 years before he "Finally" found a Dr that was able to help him!!

I Hope that this helps you as it has helped him!!  I Wish you Luck with this!!

Tonijo

I also believe that is a common fear with the IBS community. When the fear gets worse the symptoms get worse. If you prepare ahead of time the fear wont be so bad. Although I don't have the problem first hand I researched it and also asked the help of a mental health expert. I was worried the fear was going to take over my daughters life and as soon as we would get in the car the tummy rumbles would start.

Keep a bag in the car with a set of clothing just for accidents. Just knowing you have this as an option will help. Also I had told someone else this on another list but if you start having anxiety start thinking about good things. Our minds and bodies are not able to feel two emotions at one time so if you can overwhelm your body and brain with good thoughts the axiety which triggers the IBS will stay at bay. When I am depressed I say to myself over and over that I am thankful for my family, my pets and husband. Sometimes I even say it out loud. Really think about what you are thankful for and believe in it. It helps. 

Also just knowing that you are not alone is helpful. There are so many people that suffer with problems like these. They can be imbarrassing but knowing what helps others is so helpful. Someone mentioned Poise pads which I used prior to my bladder suspension. They are much more absorbant than regular pads but you can also pick up the generic brand.       

Hi Katrina,  I had to reply and tell you I know how you feel. I also have IBS, for 17 years now. I haven't fainted but I get very weak, lightheaded, and achy after an episode of cramping and diarrhea. What kind of work do you do at home? I ask because I had to quit work 2 years ago & I'm barely getting by. Just filed for disability. I've searched & searched for something I can handle (I also have fibromyalgia, Interstitial Cystitis - bladder pain etc, and back and nerve pain from Scoliosis, along with generalized anxiety, social anxiety and depression). I haven't been able to come with much to do from home. I know exactly what you mean about the urgency. Sometimes at home I have to run to the bathroom. I only take short trips in the car now. I CAN'T go out in the morning 'cause it's always worse then. I've gone thru years of schooling to become a psychotherapist but now I'm too sick to do it. I'm afraid I'll have an episode during a counseling or group session - how embarrassing! Yes, I get the bloating and the cramping too. The bloating sucks because I swear sometimes I look like I'm pregnant or something! And I have to buy pants with elastic waists, yuck! And the cramping feels so horrible!

The only thing I use that works at all is Imodium. That has saved me many times. If there's something I have to get thru I'll take one & it usually keeps it in check for the day. But I can't take it all the time or I'll be forever constipated. The doctor who diagnosed me suggested the Imodium. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. I tried the Fibercon years ago but it didn't work for me. I recently read that they used to think fiber was good for IBS but now know it actually irritates it.

I know for me diet was a big thing. I've eliminated so many foods. (coffee, dairy, tea, anything greasy, etc.) I take digestive enzymes too. Stress and sleep are factors but even feeling less stressed and getting enough sleep doesn't mean no problems.

I'd love to discuss more with you if you'd like.

Hi Katrina,  I had to reply and tell you I know how you feel. I also have IBS, for 17 years now. I haven't fainted but I get very weak, lightheaded, and achy after an episode of cramping and diarrhea. What kind of work do you do at home? I ask because I had to quit work 2 years ago & I'm barely getting by. Just filed for disability. I've searched & searched for something I can handle (I also have fibromyalgia, Interstitial Cystitis - bladder pain etc, and back and nerve pain from Scoliosis, along with generalized anxiety, social anxiety and depression). I haven't been able to come with much to do from home. I know exactly what you mean about the urgency. Sometimes at home I have to run to the bathroom. I only take short trips in the car now. I CAN'T go out in the morning 'cause it's always worse then. I've gone thru years of schooling to become a psychotherapist but now I'm too sick to do it. I'm afraid I'll have an episode during a counseling or group session - how embarrassing! Yes, I get the bloating and the cramping too. The bloating sucks because I swear sometimes I look like I'm pregnant or something! And I have to buy pants with elastic waists, yuck! And the cramping feels so horrible!

The only thing I use that works at all is Imodium. That has saved me many times. If there's something I have to get thru I'll take one & it usually keeps it in check for the day. But I can't take it all the time or I'll be forever constipated. The doctor who diagnosed me suggested the Imodium. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. I tried the Fibercon years ago but it didn't work for me. I recently read that they used to think fiber was good for IBS but now know it actually irritates it.

I know for me diet was a big thing. I've eliminated so many foods. (coffee, dairy, tea, anything greasy, etc.) I take digestive enzymes too. Stress and sleep are factors but even feeling less stressed and getting enough sleep doesn't mean no problems.

I'd love to discuss more with you if you'd like.

Hey there drg,
thanks so much for the response. it is always nice to talk to someone who might understand what you are going through.
So my work from home is as a Loan Underwriter with a mortgage company. It was actually just dumb luck that i ended up with it and i just keep hoping that it will last. It is with the company i have been working for for almost 3 years and after talking an outing with my manager one day after lunch to look at a property, i started cramping up really bad and getting a rumbly tummy, we were in a industrial/residential area and i asked her to please stop if there was somewhere where there might be a restroom nearby, but it was bad and there was nowhere to go. I started sweating and getting neseaus and next thing i knew i woke up with her pulled over on the side of the road freaking out. I had fainted and was unconcious for a couple of minutes. She didn’t know what to do for me. But after that i had become extremly anxious of driving the 30 minutes to and from work everyday. I did it for a few weeks, but the stress was making me so sick and i would have to stop several
times during the drive to use the bathroom because i would be so nervous i would upset my stomach. I finally asked my boss if there was anyway i might be able to move to the office that was only 5 minutes from my house and i just had the right timing cause they had just started up a new department in the company that utilized remote employees that would work from home, so they offered it to me and it has been really great to have that freedom. I really do like it because i dont have to stress about the drive everyday and i can go to dr’s appts and things without anyone even knowing i went. But the only drawback is that now that i dont drive much, i notice that now i am even more nervous and anxious when i do have to drive. I think if you dont force yourself to do it from time to time it is becomes harder to ever do it.
I have really gotten so anxious about having to drive that i am actually shopping around to look for a camper van or some sort of really small recreational vehicle with a toilet in it to see if that might make it easier to drive.
It has gotten to the point that if it is more than say 5 miles from my house i get totally anxious and nervous and make myself sick at even the thought of going.
I am seeing a therapist to try and help me cope with my anxiety. She really thinks i need to try taking some anti anxiety medication, but i am really anxious about taking medication too, so i really dont want to.
Are you taking any medication for IBS or anxiety?
Do you have trouble driving also and have you found anything that helps make you less nervous?
I do have a portable toilet that i keep in my car for emergencies, but it isnt really easily usable. i have never used it, it used to just kind of be like a security blanket for me, but it seems to have lost its effect recently and doesnt help make me feel all that secure anymore.
Get back to me when you can.

Katrina

drg anxiety-cpt2354@lists.careplace.com wrote: