New to the Site

Hello! I am kind of nervous about doing this whole over-the-web-support-thing because of all you hear about internet predators. But I thought about it and said, why would they be here? Only people with a serious problem, or those dealing with someone with a problem, are here to help one another-- I hope! I am nervous about doing this anyway, because I wonder if people will take me seriously and it is my last resort. That is mainly why I am here: this is my last resort! My parents do not know that I am an alcoholic; only two people do, my uncle and my girlfriend. But neither of them I can really talk to, especially in my “times of need”. I mainly hate discussing it with my girlfriend because of her father; he was an alcoholic and I thought I was one of her refuges from it. Oops? I will probably become more comfortable as time goes on. It says I should be “…posting your story, question, or experiences…” Well my story is simple: I am 18 and have been an alcoholic since I was 16 and finally realized I had a problem at 17. (This is why I wonder if people will take me seriously.) I now deal day to day with cravings and wantings of it, but have been sober for over a year now. My last drink was New Year’s Eve of 2006 to celebrate the New Year. I have stayed sober because of my girlfriend and hope I can stay that way, although I am now fighting and struggling to keep it that way. That’s my story; in a nutshell at least.

Hello AnglBby. Welcome. You have come to the right place for support or any Q’s you have. One thing strikes me though. You said you have stayed sober for you GF. For me i stay sober for me but my kids, Husband and family give me the insperation to stay sober. I stay sober for me as well as them. But that is just me. Admitting you have a problem is a great step towards a recovery. One Q for you. Are you going to AA meetings? If not then i would suggest plugging your self into one. But we are here for you if you ever just need to talk or have a question. Good luck to you. xoxox
~ashley~