Newly diagnosed and having trouble with diet restrictions

Hello everyone,
Less than a year ago, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I’m overweight and also suffer from sleep apnea. In addition I have mental health problems. All these conditions are daunting to deal with, but I’m having the most trouble facing the fact that my diet needs to change!!
I’m taking metformin to control my blood sugar and I resent everything that’s going on. This is because Zyprexa caused me not only to gain over 100 pounds, but it directly impacted my blood glucose level and contributed to my becoming diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I’m angry at the psychiatrist who insisted on my taking the Zyprexa in the first place. I know that this anger is not doing me any good. Facts are I’m diabetic and need to live with the knowledge and manage my diabetes the best that I can!

I don’t understand what you mean by “diet restrictions” I am so NOT aware of any restrictions on what one can eat as a Diabetic what so ever, and I’ve been one for 5 years now, and my mom for over 20 years, neather of us are on insulin we are diet controled

I drink my regular pop (go though 2L of it in a day without effect on my BG levels), I eat my candy to the same effect, I’ve talked to a number of diabetic dietitions and they have seen nothing wrong with what I eat, not even the junk - to them as long as my Blood Glucose levels are managable, it all works for them.

If you are mostly a junk eater, then you might try introducing steamed or cooked veggies into your meal plan more. I’m a veggie freak so for me I can’t have a meal with out them (including but not limited to breakfast).

Another thing that can help keep BG levels down is working out, going for a hours walk can help get things started, but if your not use to working out starting small like a 15 min walk can help till you can get in a bear min of an hour.

Depending on your fitness level, joining a gym might be a good idea, I love the gym hit it 3 times a week for up to 3 hours a day, and do about 2hr of cardio and an hour of weights, i’m by no means a small women, am 252 pounds.

Well luck and take care
Nyx