Newly diagnosed (today) - just a couple of questions

Hi,
I’m 50 and I’ve just been diagnosed with Addison’s (by an ER doc). I started hydrocortisone and see my internist next week.
I have a couple of questions for those who have had this disease:

1. How long did it take before you began to feel better?
  2. Will I feel well enough to continue working the 6:30 a.m. shift at the hospital (Iget up at 5:45 and really feel horrible right now)?
  3. I see my internist next week and am wondering what questions I should definitely ask him?
    Thanks - Suzanne

I was diagnosed March, 2007, and began a regimen of
30mg hydrocortisone and 0.1mg florinef daily. I, also, take
potassium and magnesium in addition to my regular daily
vitamin. Hopefully, you will do better than I, as I can not function
early in the day. I usually wake up around 6-6:30, eat
breakfast, take my meds, and read the newspaper. Then
I have to take a nap in order to function. I have an agent
service my insurance accouts, because I can not function.
I pray that you do better.

Thanks Brennie,
My internist called today to say he wanted to do more definitive tests starting tomorrow. He said he fairly convinced that this is what I have because of the hypotension, fatigue, pigmentation in place that haven’ ever seen the sun, muscle aches, loss of appetite, and a 10 pound weight loss. However, he says he doesn’t want to commit to a lifetime of medication unless it’s confirmed with a stimulation test.

I appreciate your response - to know someone else with the disease is willing to take an interest in my situation,
Thanks again,
Sizamme B

One thing that has really made a difference with me is that
I do stay hydrated now. I was constantly in the hospital
for dehydration. I forced myself to drink more liquids, and
that has helped with the problem. The key is to drink lots
of liquids( especially water). I like the Propel brand that has
vitamins. Maybe going to bed earlier than usual, too, since you
have to be at work so early.
Best of luck! May God Bless!

If your test came back positive that you have Addison’s, see and endocrinoligist. NEVER, NEVER, take potassium. When you have Addison’s disease, you store potassium and lose salt. Too much potassium in your system is lethal. Read about the disease at webmd http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/addisons-disease-treatment-overview

Cut and paste the web site or go to webmd.com and search for addison’s disease. I hope this helps.