No Subject

I haven’t had a lot of time to post lately, and wanted to say hello to all of you. I went back to work this past Wedsnesday, and it is very tiring on me. I am working for the census, and I started out with a forty hour week-no choice. Good pay-which we need, but I am not sure my body will hold up to all of this stress. I have to get up at 5:20am, and leave at 6:10am. I get home between 4:00 and 4:30, so the day seems very long to me. I miss my naps!! I can’t eat while I am there, because I am afraid I will get too sick to stay, and can’t take off so soon. I eat little bits here and there, and then am starving when I get home. I try to keep my pain meds to the minimum while working, and have done pretty good with that so far. I haven’t worked since 1998 when I had to leave my last job, but finances are bad, and something had to be done-by me!! The pay is very good, and benefits are great I am currently on disability, but that pays very little, and just won’t cut it right now. My son has three more semesters before he graduates college, and we try to help him too. Medical bills alone, have put us under this year, along with my husband losing his job, and we had to pay COBRA for 5 months at $900 a month. BROKE-the only was to describe our situation. If I can hang in there about four months it would be a big help. If I could work like a normal person it would be great. Have any of you been off several years, and then returned to work?? Tell me about how you made it thrugh the beginning. I need some confidence, and am lacking in that. It is scary starting over again. I like the people I work with, and the job is boring, but easy. Right now I am hurting pretty bad. My back started this morning, so it may be a bad attack coming on. I will try and work through it, if I can. I hope you are all doing well.
Karen

Just a heads up KSpeer1,

if you make over (I Think) $800 per month SS Disability will cut you off, and you might have to re apply, so be careful or check into that with the SS office. I am still waiting to hear on my case, but still waiting it’s been almost 2 years and that’s even having an atty. we will see I guess. Again just wanted to give you a heads up, I would hate to see you loose your SS, and be back in $ troubles…With Big Hugs and Love I hope you stay health and don’t get wore down :frowning: Here’s to a pain free day/evening…

With Love, Mrs Barb aka-Barb :slight_smile:

Hi, all:

Here are the government rules on working and receiving disability and a few direct links to more specific info:

WHAT’S NEW FOR 2008?
We increased the Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) amount for individuals with disabilities, other than blindness, from $900 to $940 for 2008.

We increased the SGA amount for individuals who are blind from $1,500 to $1,570 for 2008.

We increased the monthly earnings amount that we use to determine if a month counts for the Trial Work Period (TWP) from $640 to $670 for 2008.

For 2008, we increased the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Federal Benefit Rates (FBR) from $623 to $637 for an eligible individual and from $934 to $956 for an eligible couple.

We increased the income amounts that will have no effect on eligibility or benefits for SSI beneficiaries who are students. For 2008, we increased the monthly amount from $1,510 to $1,550 and the yearly maximum from $6,100 to $6,240.

For 2008, the monthly Medicare Part A Hospital Insurance Base Premium is $423, and the 45 percent Reduced Premium is $233. The Part B Supplementary Medical Insurance monthly Base Premium is $96.40.

Trial Work Period

SSDI – The trial work period allows you to test your ability to work for at least 9 months. During your trial work period, you will receive your full disability benefit regardless of how much you earn as long as your work activity has been reported and you continue to have a disabling impairment. The 9 months does not need to be consecutive and your trial work period will last until you accumulate 9 months within a rolling 60-month period. Certain other rules apply.

Extended Period of Eligibility

SSDI – If your disability benefits stop after successfully completing the trial work period because you worked at the substantial gainful activity (SGA) level, we can automatically reinstate your benefits without a new application for any months in which your earnings drop below the SGA level. This reinstatement period lasts for 36 consecutive months following the end of the trial work period. You must continue to have a disabling impairment in addition to having earnings below the SGA level for that month.

http://www.ssa.gov/work/who_can_help.htm

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redbook/

Hugs and love and wishes for a good night,
Lisa

Wow Lisa,

Thank You so much for the information!!! I do have a ? for you, do you know if there is anyway to check on the status of a disability claim? and if so can you send that to me? I started applying almost 2 years ago, after two denial letters, and now have my atty. working on it for me, but it doesn’t seem to be moving any fast??? Ok thank you again, and hope your feeling better…With lots of love and hugs with a pain free evening/day…

Love Barb O.