Normal aging or chronic illnesses

How do we aging peeps with autoimmune illnesses know when to panic when it comes to pain???
I have had pains quite similar to a heart problem or even a stroke but when I wait it out, it all seems to clear up…

I feel I am taking a Big chance here because it may be serious and I feel it is “just” the Lupus or Fibro…

any suggestions???

Peace…Dawn in SC

hey Dawn… what kind of pain do you get? can u describe it?

I know what u mean about hanging back from goin to see the doc. I feel that i have so many different pains and symptoms that i feel like a hyponcondriact! Ive been goin to the docs at least once a month for sicklines for my college bursary… feel like i live there!lol

hope u ok!

linzix

hey Dawn… what kind of pain do you get? can u describe it?

I know what u mean about hanging back from goin to see the doc. I feel that i have so many different pains and symptoms that i feel like a hyponcondriact! Ive been goin to the docs at least once a month for sicklines for my college bursary… feel like i live there!lol

hope u ok!

linzix

Hello, I am unavailable to read your message at this time.

I’m not quite sure where to start. I’m one of those people that don’t call the doctor on every little thing that happens. However, I was diagnosed 18 years ago so I am a little used to what my lupus is doing. So first I would ask what organs, if any, has your lupus affected? How long have you had lupus? How long have you been having the pains you are describing?

Now, why all the questions? To understand your lupus you need to understand your body. Your body actually talks to you if you listen. I can’t tell you how to learn to listen but a journal is a good start. Not a journal talking generalities but detailed of what happened and how it affected you physically and emotionally. You will start to see some patterns (hopefully) that can help you to read your own body.

My lupus has affected my central nervous system so I have TIA’s (known as baby strokes) and hallucinations. If I called the doc or went to ER every time one of those happened I would be in the hospital or doc’s office 24/7. However, the pain you are describing could be something serious. And even if your lupus has not affected your heart or cns doesn’t mean it won’t. Lupus tends to move around in the body so this could still be lupus and just a new lupus tactic. I would at least call the doc and tell them your symptoms. They know your history and can tell you if they need to see you or if it’s just “normal aging”.

Hope this helps.

Love and hugs,
Ran

You may want to keep a symptom journal to see when the pains are occuring - how long they’re lasting and what you’re doing when they happening - you may notice a pattern. That way you’ll know whether it’s something you should call the doc about - if it’s something that’s happening several times a day then you def should call the doc. If it happens when you lift or get up or sit down - then maybe you need to take it slower - it could be the change in position.
It could also be that you need a change in medication. Have you started anything new?

I had a recent flutter feeling in my chest and it happened a couple days in a row and had me freaked out. So I ended up in the ER. Valentine’s day! the nurses were really nice! But the tests all came out ok, and a follow up stress test was good too - turns out - I had been doing some heavy lifting the weekend before and it probably was a muscle thing. But either way - it was good to know things were all good and being 47 going on 48 - and overweight - it was good to have a stress test on record!

linda

Hello, I am unavailable to read your message at this time.