Normal life after bipolar?

I’m so worried. Can you wonderful people out there with bipolar or major depression tell me if I can expect my 25 year old son to live a “normal life”? The first 15 years of his life were fine, but it’s been 10 years since he started having trouble. He has a great pdoc now and is on a few meds that seem to help, but he stays in the house 95% of the time and in his room 85% of the time. How is he going to get better? He’s not like the schizophrenic guy down the block who talks to himself ( no insult intended). He appears “normal” in every way. We have daily conversations about everyday things. He is smart and kind and funny. But he just doesn’t function outside of the house.

Can you guys tell me the one or two things that helped you have a life? Do you feel that you are leading a normal life? I would appreciate it so much Hugs to you all!

I JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL WANTING TO HELP YOUR SON OUT. THE BAD PART ABOUT IT IS THAT YOU CAN’T MAKE HIM DO SOMETHING THAT HE DOESN’T WANT TO DO. WHEN HE IS READY HE WILL. IT TOOK ME ABOUT THREE YEARS TO FEEL COMFORTABLE LEAVING THE HOUSE. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? IT WAS ONLY AFTER BEING IN THE HOSPITAL TWICE THAT I DECIDED I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT MY LIFE. I AM AFRAID OF PEOPLE AND IF I WANT TO GET BETTER I NEED TO MAKE FRIENDS. SO I PICKED MYSELF UP AND I LEARNED TO MAKE FRIENDS. BUT IT WAS ONLY AFTER I HIT ROCK BOTTOM. ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT GIVE HIM LOVE AND SUPPORT. I WISH YOU SO MUCH LUCK. BIG HUG

Robsmom, it to me a few years to come out of the house as well when I was first diagnosed my mom and dad tried to get me out of bed but I stayed there for a good 2 to 3 years I never even ate anything and weighed about 89 lbs that is how bad it was but as I started going to to see my talk theropy and phy and got meds I started slowly progressing back into the real world. I know for sure he will come out of it maybe he need different meds and a reason to go out.

I personally havent heard of anyone with bipolar being actually stuck inside their house for years so i’d think it would be one of the other problems he has causing this.

I know you say his meds seem to help… but since he is stuck inside the house and he’s not able to live any kind of life at all, I’d actually think they aint helping well. He needs different ones if it is depression causing him to be stuck in the house and not feel motivated to want to go out anywhere at all.

If the problem is his agoraphobia keeping him in the house most of the time. I’d think he needs more therapy and maybe different meds to be dealing with that better.

If the problem is CFS keeping him from not wanting to go out much eg he tires to easily or feels sick afterwards cause of CFS symptoms, so hence dont want to go out no more, well there isnt much you can do at all… only leave him to hopefully recover.

You are kind of in a hard spot there with him having so many different issues ((((hugs)))). It does sound like thou the right meds need to be found for him to hopefully change the situation. If just left… since its been so long now, things are likely just to be the same unless he ends up wanting them to be otherwise.