Not feeling the greatest

I had to force myself to log in today. I haven’t been here in almost 2 months. I appologize to everyone. I’m not myself lately. My doctor and I have been doing research on my different moods and have been newly diagnosed as bipolar. It has been very difficult these past couple of months. I’m trying my damndest to get back into the life I had been leading before i got so outrageously ill. Does anyone have any input on which medications work for bipolar? I really don’t want to try lithium, it sounds like it could really mess your body up. Please post any input on bipolar meds, it really would help a lot. I know that every med works differently for everyone, but there may be a medication that works for the majority of people.
Thank you everyone for still being here after my long hiatus. And i really do appreciate all the support that i get from everyone.

I had good luck with Seroquil and Lamictol (spelling?). I just couldn’t afford them ongoing. They really did help though. Especially the Lamictal to keep me from feeling so depressed and down.

I have heard a lot of good things about Lamictal, but I don’t take it, nor do I have bipolar… but I just wanted to throw a positive note out to you… take care, and I’ll pray you begin feeling better soon…

Hi bubbles.

This is really long, which is what I’m known for around here (well, that and being difficult and sarcastic, but that’s something else.

I know Bipolar Disorder can be scarey. But I’d like you to always do one thing: Never say “I’m bipolar” always say you "have bipolar disorder. " You are NOT defined by the disorder, you are a person who happens to have bipolar disorder. This is “self-perception” thing, and will make a difference in how you cope.

I’m not "officially diagnosed " with BPI or BPII, but with Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety. Some of my symptoms look like “hypomania” (BPII variety of mania), but they could also be from anxiety. I’ve been on both Zoloft and Cymbalta in the past, Both worked for a while, but eventually caused more problems, and made things worse rather than better.

I now take WellbutrinXL 300mg and Lamictal 150 mg. we’re aiming for 200mg Lamictal, but had to stop at 150 for now. Lamictal, an anticonvulsant, must be started at a very low dosage, and slowly “titrated” up to the target dosage. The recommended way is to start with 25mg a day. and go up in 25mg steps over 3 or more weeks. I went up in only 12.5 mg steps, so it took me a LONG time to get to 150. But I had only minor and temporary side effects. Right now, it’s the best by far FOR ME. but, as you say, everyone’s different.

A rundown on the meds used to treat BP –

Just as with antidepressants, there isn’t “one med” that works for the “most” people. I have yet to see to 2 people with BP taking exactly the same meds with exactly the same dosages.

Most meds for bipolar fall into one of two categories: anticonvulsants and antipsychotics. the botton line – they are no more “dangerous” or “serious” than antidepressants. In fact, a lot of them have been around longer than a lot of antidepressants, because they were developed for other things, not specifically for BP.

For meds information I use “official” medical sites like webmd and sites set up by pharmaceutical companies. You to know that a site is “owned” by a company or not – the ones by companies obviously push their meds, and talk about other ones. Other sites talk about many different meds.

When I want “real” information from the people who actually take thre meds, I use – www.crazymeds.org.

It’s not a “pretty” site like Careplace, but that’s not the point. Information is the goal. To start, use the Left side Navigation Frame. Find the Bold headings like “Anticonvulsants/Mood Stabilizers” and “Antipsychotics.” Click on those headings to get general information for that class of meds. Important to read that first. Then select the specific med. brand names are given first, then “generic” names. The older ones are available in generic (cheaper), the newer ones aren’t.

All have some kind of side effects, just like all the antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds have side effects.

Some side effects go away after a while, some don’t. Most of these meds are started at a low dose, and worked up until the effective dosage is found. Some docs like low doses of more meds, some like high doses of fewer meds. My doc happens to go for the lowest dosages of the least number of meds, and never changes 2 things at one time – but, that’s just him. We both agree on that approach, so we get along. that all depends on the pdoc. Find out what yours likes to do – it will help in the two-way communication.

Some meds require more monitoring, like blood tests, than others. Lithium is one of those. Like any other meds, if it works for someone, they love it, if it doesn’t, they hate it. As you said, everyone’s different. Your mileage may vary (YMMV)

believeme, you’ll KNOW when something works. It will almost seem “magical.” Some take a while to work. Some have a quicker effect, even at the low doses. Some need to reach a certain level in your body to work at all. Some can cause. problems at too high a dosage: then you drop back and see what happens.

Finally BP is one of those things that responds best to Meds and Theraopy together. what you do for yourself is just as important as what you take. It’s also good to agree to let your tdoc and pdoc talk yo one another. You need a treatment “team” not a group of people each doing their own thing.

Here’s a website that gives good basic information about BP, especially for Bipolar II. Don’t be over whelmed, take it in small chunks – http://www.psycheducation.org/. The author, Dr. Jim Phelps, has also written a book called Why Am I Still Depressed?" i like books, because they’re always handy. It covers diagnosis, treatments, self-help, and even how to deal with other people.

as I said before, my “official” diagnosis not BP. But i often think the BPII symptoms fit me better. So i read a lot on that side. My diagnosis might be changing, because my pdoc’s focus has recently shifted to using more mood stabilizers, and not fooling around with more antidepressants. But, i’m not the professional in all this. labels aren’t as important at finding the best treatment.

Try the BP forum here, but stay on the depression one, too. you’ll often find people on both. BPII tends to be more on the depression end than the hypomania end. but BP depression has its own set of issues that may not be discussed on the depression forum.

I’m kind of an information “junkie” so I do a lot of research. I also like to share what i’ve learned – once a teacher always a teacher?? If you want more places to look for info, and to find people who are in the same place you are, I can give you other websites, so msg me if you want.

BTW: on websites and in online forums, BP is the usual abbreviation for Bipolar Disorder – BP, BPII, BP Nos. “BPD” is almost exclusively used for Borderline Peronality Disorder. Also, you’ll find a lot of talking about the “Bipolar Spectrum” – a recent topic about that is on the BP forum. but always use your pdoc as your first source and final source of info. Because what she thinks will determine the approach she takes. You need to know that.

Learn as much as you can. keep talking to your pdoc – a lot. keep seeing your tdoc. do what YOU can to help yourself (exercise, sleep schedules, etc). And the hardest but possibly the most important – be patient.

msg me for more info, and let us all know how you’re doing.

you’re definitely not alone.

peace,
c.