Not sure if the meds help my son

my son has been diagnosed with bi-polar he was first put on nurotin 600 mg and 1200mg of seroquil now he is only on the seoquil and if he takes the whole 1200 he complains that he does not feel good and that his head hurts. so he only takes 600 and his dct is moving out of town and we do not have another dct yet. I have to see my son have sad days and a very short temper days. he is 18 and falls in love with every girl he meets and is truely heart broken when they break up most of the girls he meets in his my space and very rarely does he ever really meet them in person. he is very loved at home and he is still ready to get married and have children. He says so he can be normal like his father and I. Not sure if meds need to change or what to do?

Hi. Thanks for your message. Things have become quite hectic and I may not be able to read my mail as often as I’d like. I hope to be back soon.

Chuck

hello, my names fizzy how long has your son been on the medication if its a long period then suggest some sort of medical consultation and see if a change may be better.

Hi!
My son is bipolar, too and I know what you mean about the high emotions. I think that your son needs to be on a bipolar medication like lithium, or lamictal if he is truly diagnosed with bipolar, neither of which he is taking right now. My son was diagnosed two and a half years ago and has been taking lamictal ever since. The mood swings are practically gone, although he was just put on an antidepressant for his chronic mild lows. As far as i know, if you’re bipolar, you need a bipolar med. Let me know if you would like to chat about our bipolar sons anytime. good luck!

Hi fizzy,
As you know I am bipolar as well. But the one that said your son needs to be on bipolar meds is in err!
I am on Neurontin and Wellbutrin. Some people are not able to take Lithum, as it is very hard on your system, kidneys in particular. IT is a very GOOD med however. More people are succesful than not on Lithium. However, just as many people are successful on seizure meds and antidepressants; as long as they are not allergic to the med. It sounds like your son may be allergic, or at least having a reaction to the med. He needs to go back to his doctor and not just stop the med that he is having a problem with; as this will cause more highs and lows.
Also seizure meds and antidepressants are also considered as bipolar meds as well, since so many people have been successful with them.
Any way, fizzy, I hope this helps!
Love you, Bip

I too am in the crowd with a male son who is in love or has very strong feelings for everyone. He is extremely heartbroken when the girl finds another guy or just loses interest in him. Then he gets even more depressed.

He was diagnosed about 2 years ago. He is on Lamictal for the bipolar and Lexapro for more of the depression side (he is more often quite depressed rather than manic).

It took a while to find the right dosages. Also when he first started on the Lamictal, actually it was the same when my daughter and I started on the Lamictal too, he felt very “blah”. yep, blah is the best way to describe it. he wanted to stop taking it. The psychiatrist asked us to please keep him on it for a few more weeks. Once his body adjusted he was fine again…actually better than before!

Your son if he is taking Neurontin its used for seizures are also used as a mood stablizer… And the SEROQUEL for acute mania associated with bipolar disorder I. Bipolar disorder resources and information on SEROQUEL for the treatment for acute mania …

He may also need a antidepressant…Its all just a matter of finding the right dose and most of them seem to have some side effects until you get use to them…

There are alot of people that have to take a number of different meds. I have been on meds most of my life and they do change from time to time…

The falling in love thing I find seems to happen to a lot of us that are bipolar mainly because we want so hard to be normal… But what is normal really? I don’t think there is such a thing…