Omg! disability!?!

I am going down to SS to file for disability. I have filed once for depression, but was denied due to the fact they thought i was still able to work. I recently read something online that said if you are working a job you will probably be denied. Looking back, I was employed at the time but wasnt actually working. Though i was employed, i was calling in everyday. Could that be the reason i was denied?
And now i have another dilemma. I started a job at the end of december, worked 1 week, then i had to call in for an anxiety attack. I told the manager up front that i had this problem, and he said it was ok and we would find a way to work with it. But when i called in he yelled at me and told me he needed someone who could make it in. And then he told me to call back when i thought i was able to work again. I even got a doctors excuse for the time off from Jan 5-16. I went in yesterday to get my check and to talk to him about my job, but he wasnt in. The asst manager told me he would call me back sometime today to let me know when and if i was going backto work.

My question is should i go back to work??? I mean i want to work, but i dont want to screw up the disability. Last year i made just over 3,000 and the year before i made 2,200. At least if I got disability i would get around 7,000.
The reason i waited so long to refile for disability is because I believed i would be able to work full time and make 10,000 - 20,000 a year. But after all these problems, I cant seem to work any long period of time which makes it impossible to pay the bills. In case you are wondering, How do i pay the bills? 2005’s bills were paid mostly from my dads inheirtance and 2006’s bills were paid mostly from a back injury lawsuit settlement. But all that money is gone and I have nothing to show from it, except that the bills were paid.
I would like to believe that i could work normally with having little or no problems, but I do keep having problems. If i got disability at least i know that some money would be coming in. If I work, i never know whats going to happen and that makes it even harder.

Anyway, I guess my question is to anyone that has filed or is getting disability, did you have problems getting disability? Is there anything i should know before i file? Should i get paperwork from my old job that would show that i missed more work than what i did work? what do i need to do to show them i should qualify?
I am able to work, and i have. But my problem is it doesnt last long, and then i wind up losing the job, and then I have to find another one. And on top of it all, I am making myself look bad on my work record.

What should i do? Either way, it seems that I am screwing up my life.

having a negative work history could actually work in your favor. showing that you are unstable in the workforce. when you apply, they will consider how much you have worked and figure your income from that. you will also see a psychiatrist and he will help determine if you are eligible for benefits. you will need to provide proof that you have been under the care of a psychiatrist or at least that you suffer from a mental illness. This whole process can take months. Do not be discouraged if you are turned down the first time. preservere and you should eventually be eligible. hope this helps. if it helps any, i am on disability for ptsd.

Thank you kimansuki for your insight. I do have another question. When you appealed, how long did you have to wait to appeal? Is there a time peroid you have to wait until you can appeal? Since i first filed at the end of 2004, would this count as my appeal or do I have to file now and then appeal again? Sorry, I didnt know what I was doing then, and I still dont now. Thanks.

they have their own psychiatrist to evaluate the sitation. sounds like not the greatest psychiatrist. it doesn’t mattter, your records will speak for themselves. you may want to mention to your psychiatrist the situation so he is not surprised when they talk to him. ultimately he does not have the final decision. explain to the disability doctor all the trouble you have been having at work and they will also go over your work records and that will weigh heavily on their decision. try not to worry.

~ SSDI is very hard to get these days and the waiting time is getting longer and longer. The reason for this - SSA has not got enough staff to process the claims efficiently. They’re also lacking in the number of Administrative Law Judges to see your case after the 2nd denial, which happens most often when your claim file is lacking the proper evidence to grant you disability the first two times.

I’m a member of a REALLY good SSDI forum that you may want to check out and be sure to sign the petition to help the government improve the SSA’s system for processing claims. This site has helped lots and lots of people get approved without a lawyer and has tons of info on the application process…

http://groups.msn.com/SocialSecurityDisabilityCoalition/general.msnw?action=get_threads

I applied in Aug 2005 after being out of work for a year due to my disabilities (numerous physical and mental). I had to see the SSA’s psychiatrist for an evaluation for depression and anxiety – even though I’ve been seeing doctors for these conditions for over 10 years. A month later, I was denied in February 2006. I applied for a reconsideration (Recon) immediately and was denied the 2nd time in May 2006 and filed for a hearing before the ALJ. Once denied twice, I got a lawyer who used to be a claims examiner at the SSA. I was just sick and tired of messing with the SSA.

Don’t give up!!! Most peope give up (which is what the SSA wants you to do) but a majority of folks get approved at the ALJ (court) level. The SSA looks for reasons NOT to approve you. They look for what you can STILL DO as far as work, not what you can’t do. They told me I that even though my disabilities can be uncomfortable at times, I could still move my hands and legs; therefore there is SOME job in the workforce that I can still do!!

I have been waiting since June 2006 for a court date. In my state (the wait time varies between states) the wait time for a trial is 14-16 months and helps when you contact your elected officials to inquire about your claim. A friend of mine finally got aproved (with a lawyer) after 2 years. She wasn’t working, had a psych doctor and had been in therapy for depression for a couple of years, which is exactly what the SSA needs to hear. I haven’t worked in over two years and I’m still waiting.

Go to that website!! It will be worth your time!!! ~ hugs ~