Overall health

Does this disease just keep weakening your muscles untill you can no longer function? Is there any treatments to get you back to normal?

Hi, Humbled!

First, if you’re not seeing a neurologist, please secure one ASAP; he/she can answer all of your questions.

I am not a doctor, so, I can only tell you what I’ve read, as well as information I’ve acquired through my neurologist and my experience.

Thymectomy, medication, and various treatments can, most definitely, help you; everyone is different, and, so, there is no way to predict your responses to any treatment. My neurologist has told me–and I’ve read about this, too–that thymectomy gives you a 75-85% chance of remission in 4-6 years.

You can go into remission, and some days can be better than others, but there is no cure for myasthenia gravis. I’m sure there are people who lead normal to near-normal lives–either on or off medication–but, as of yet, there is no cure for the disease.

I’m sorry I can’t be of more assistance, but let me know if you have any other questions. Please see a neurologist–preferably, one who has some experience with M.G.

Love & prayers,
Kim

Hi, Humbled,

You need a neurologist to help you understand. Is your wife taking any mestinon or prednisone? Because that’s what I’m taking and it’s helping me but remeber everyone is different. As far as the weakness goes, if you maintain it you will be fine, becasue MG is treatable but everyones case is different. I hope I was able to help you.

Bless you and your wife,
Ely