Pain Meds - Need Help!

I've been having severe pain in my head, neck, lower back and back of my legs for the past year.  I've had facet injections in C5-C7 one time - so far and not looking forward to going back.  It only relieved the pain for about two months. Ice packs don't help either.

For the past 3 days I've been in so much pain.  I was up at 2:00 am today almost ready to drive myself to the emergency room. 

Can anyone tell me what has worked the best for you for chronic pain??  Also, is Oxycodone stronger than Hydrocodone?  Neither one seems to help much with my pain.  Any suggestions?

Hi Bed Head...

I've been on just about everything.. I don't know the difference between the oxy and the hydro codone... now what I take is methadone.  At first I looked at my doc kinda sideways... Isn't that for heroin junkies?  Not just  that... it was origanally made as a pain med. 

It's helps or I should say helped... I've been on it so long that I've built up a tollerance but my doc is gonna work with me on that at my next appointment.

Good luck, I know how this sucks so much!

Sue

Hi, I'm new here.

I have continuous back pain too. I'm on hydrocodone (vicodine). I'm not sure of the technical difference between hydrocondone and oxycontin(sp) but I do know that oxy is the next step up from hydrocondone.  

I ached all over from the Sjogrens Syndrome, now I have been diagnosed with DDD (Degenerative Disk Disease) and a bunch of other back maladies.  I'm beginning to wonder if there will ever be a day when I have no pain and live to tell about it.  

How is one expected to work and be in such constant pain? 

try oxycontin they don’t call it hillbilly heroin for nothing.

On 4/18/07, bedhead chronicpain-cpt2665@lists.careplace.com wrote:

I have got awesome results from reliv.I was falling asleep even in mid sentence my pain levels were threw the roof.I felt like I had no life.But after taking reliv I am doing so much more and feling better and better.I have been able to cut back on my percocet I was taking 6-8 a day now I am taking 1-3 and I am in less pain.It is awesome.reliv is a patented food supplement.

Hi mommie…I would like to know more about reliv.  You said it was a food supplement.  Did you get it at a health food store?  I had my surgery in Dec. of 06 and I think I have another disc going…if this helps to cut the pain I’m in…without taking too many “drugs”…thanx…wishing all as pain free a day as possible.

I have chronic neck, and lower back issues that cause pain and numbness in my hips, and legs as well. I was on Hydrocodone (vocodine, well,actually norco because it had lower tylenol in it) for several years, I worked up a tolerance but stayed on it anyways, doctors think I'm too young to be on anything at all, I should just deal with pain cause I'm only 26 and all...now I finally found a new doctor and just started taking Oxycodone 30 mg tablets, they work on and off, it just depends. It's really wierd at one particular dose it will bring my painlevel almost down to like 2 or 3 then it wont take my level down hardly at all. I think our brains are just wierd like that.

mommie, That's the same prob I have ... low back pain and radiating pain down the backs of my legs.  Have you been through an MRI or anything?  Have you been told what is causing it??  I'm really contemplating going to the ER b/c it's just getting worse.

Yesterday I went to my PC doc and he signed me up for damn physical therapy.  I've gotten to the point of not being able to walk around the neighborhood any longer that 20 minutes.  I used to walk an hour and half every day!!  Now I'll be lucky to do this 2-3 times a week, and I have to MAKE myself do that.  Physical therapy is only going to make it more painful -- just like they tried with my neck.  I went one day and was in so much pain for 3-4 days afterward!  I should probably get another doc.

It seems my back and legs hurt more when I'm lying on my back.  It's just dreadful.

i have the same problem, lately my but, lower back and leg has been killing me. i get sharp, shooting pains from my but the whole way down my leg. im pretty sure its my siatic nerve acting up. and pain meds for some reason,wont even touch that kind of pain. the only thing that puts it to sleep slightly is a lidoderm, lidocaine patch. its a local anestetic, like novacaine from the dentist office. its a horrible pain.

Well, the last time I had a MRI was about a year ago, and I've had some X'Rays. I have som compacted discs, A fracture in my lower back, a lot of nerve/tissue damage, my spine sort of curves the wrong direction in my neck, and I have a lot of muscles spasms. I have a lot of problems walking and stuff too but I make myself do it, although long distances make  my legs  go numb sometimes. I'm doing the chiropractic thing, but I'm not up to Physical therepy yet, because I was just in another car accident recently. A few years back I went through several years of therepy and with any of therepy even massage therepy, if it doesn't hurt, it's not working. It's unfortunate, but when I do to the chiropractor it may hurt while I'm there but for a few hours I feel a little better afterward. :o)

Here’s a suggestion to all who have wrote about their pain.I’ve experienced Severe Chronic pain myself and have a ridiculous tolerance to paim meds too. At one time my doc tried me on a med called Lyrica it’s similar to neurontin.I know that it works very well for nerve pain in cases of cyatica and diabetic nerve pain also.I tried it by itself and it did little to nothing but in combination with a decent dose of any opoid pain med it worked wonders.I’d have kept taking it if I wouldn’t have lost my insurance,cause it’s fairly expensive.But I found out yesterday that I’ve finally getting my insurance back after raising a stink with the governor of the state of Ohio.So I’m thinking the next time I see my doc I’m gonna ask for it back and see if it still works. But I highly recommend Lyrica and a pain med especially for those of you that have shooting pain. BRIX Out!  See ya all and I hope I might have helped.

Ir it were not for my Chiropractor, I would not be walking. You need to to real careful when chooseing one. I would only go to one that I found on "Activator .com" and had a proficency rating. They use an instument,the activator, and not the twisting, snappingand ahrd pushing. Along with that I have  my meds from my PCP and I just had A epidural @ L5-S1, a facet block @ L4 and injections @ C4,5 &6. They are not cortisone. That didn.'t work. It has been about a month since my 1st shot and my pain is cut 75% and my meds 90%. I have Pars, degenerative disc and 3 spondilolesthesis. I have been in severe pain since 1980. It took a lot to of pain for to agree to do the shots, but I am glad I did. At least i have been able to be human for a month and I am praying that it contiues for a long time.

I hope this helps.

zapp8084

I have been taking oxycodone for nearly 2 years now, gradually reducing the amount I need, I now take 35mg in the morning and also 35mg at night, sometimes I need an extra dose but thats rare nowadays, but I also have gabapentin 300mg 3 times daily for nerve pain. Without this i feel like my back has been peeled from the shoulders down and sandpaper rubbed on the raw flesh. The hospital had me on morphine originally but I was allergic to it and they then put me on a few ohters till we found the oxy worked. Hope this helps.Tony.

upcspine.com will do you some good!

On 6/19/07, ottertony1 chronicpain-cpt2665@lists.careplace.com wrote:

Hi my name is BJ Mayorga, I know the feeling, & what you are going through, I try the injection for 2 years, one shot every 3 mths, but no relieve for pain, it did not work. Now they have me on Morphine & hydrocone, & some other pain meds. Now they tell me I have cervical spinal stenois, that I have 3 disk, that are narrowing so right now I am waiting for the surgery date, my pain starts on my lower back, down the back of my legs, & all the way up my spine to my neck. I have try Ice & also the heating pad, to no avail, I am in constant pain, & spend most of the day asleep, because of the pain meds, just friday they increased my morphine from 30 mgs, to 60. Sometimes I just wish I would die, so this way I wouldnt feel all this pain, my doctors are taking their sweet time to do anything. BJ Mayorga Jr.

Bj
I understand what you are going through I’m on demeral and Im on pain
all the time and tired the rest of the time Im depressed and it sounds
like you and I are going through the same thing. If you ever need to
talk about anything Im here for you my name is Janis.

bjmayorga wrote:

HI
Have you asked your DOCTOR for SATIVEX its based on Cannabis ,there is no
side effects & wont make you sleepy, if you live in Dorset dont bother because
our PCT wont let it be ussed as its unlicenced,but believe me it does work.
ALL BEST PAT

Hi there, I am 29 years old and have been dealing with severe chronic pain since I was 15. It is mostly due to arthritis that have settled in my hips and low back. I had major hip and knee reconstruction done in 1991 due to my form of dwarfism (Morquio Syndrome).

It was usually managable up until about 5 years ago. Nothing seems to work for me anymore, I’ve done therapy, tried different meds (Oxy, Hydro, Tylenol with Morphine, etc) you name it I’ve tried it. The only med that works for me now is Dilaudid; and I usually take it at night when I need it because if I take it during the day I zonk out and look like a druggie.

I’m seeing a trauma surgeon out in Pittsburgh in Septermber and was wondering is there anything that is not a drug that I could possibly look into taking during the day for my hip pain. The pain level is usually between a 9 or 10. On good days it will drop to an 8!

Can anyone offer any suggestions or help?

Thanks

I will be out of the office beginning Monday July 2nd and back in office Thursday July 5th. If you need immediate assistance please email austin@iso.com.

violinmemories, - I’m not sure if my routine can help you. But you never know, What I do is posted under my Profile The part about how I cope. I’m so glad I got an email inviting me to this site!

My hip and Spine are my worst pain area’s as well. I had an accident at 14 and never healed correctly, My Doctor wanted to do a total left hip (in my 30’s) when the injections stopped working but my other problems make me a poor healer and he would only give me a 50/50 shot at saving my leg, I’m to chicken. I’ll deal with the pain. I do have a routine down that lets me keep my job, but it isn’t easy. I get up a 5:00 am to leave the house by 7:30. I know you have probably tried most of this but have you tried it all together, daily! Anyhow the whole routine is long but if you think it might help check me out! Good luck and keep us informed! acjewel