Pancreatic Cancer and SSI Disability

For anyone starting the Journey with PC, you should know that it is almost automatic to be approved for social security disability. There is a six month waiting period prior to receiving benefits. that six months start from when you became disabled. You should use the date of DX. If you feel at this time you are not disabled i would apply and at the end of 6 months if you still feel up to working you can cancel the request.

This was a great help to us.

Slowhand

Hi - It is me!! Do you mean while the disability application is pending the person can actively be at work? I am interested in more information as I am not that savy in this department and do want to open a can worms - if you know what I mean. Also does the person have to be on disability to start the ball rolling. The problem I get hung up on is while the waiting period is happening what about health coverage? Thanks for any info. Tomcat

I am currently out of the office and will not be checking email. I will return on Tuesday, July 17.

Hi-- this is mother as I told you I took a trip to LOS ANGELES USC to see my
primary oncologist who is a scientist and professor of that department. He
has his own lab and concocts many cancer medications for experimental and
other.
He told me that since a small tumor sprung up on my abdomen wall which is
very common the best way to treat it with Gemzar and in this case Xeloda as
I tried Tarceva and it landed me in the hospital. He said Tarceva works but
it is a new medication and sometimes not effective with everyone. The main
thing is to to check with Ct-Scans every 6 weeks as progress depends on it.
If the therapy is not effective then there is other more aggressive --one of
them being ELOXATIN. However, he says that Xeloda works very well with
Gemzar . He informed me that age has no bearing on this disease. His oldest
patient is 104 and apparantely doing well with his therapy. Anyway it helped
my state of mind to consult with him and follow his direction as I have my
therapy closer to my home but with his direction.
mother
----- Original Message -----
From: “tomcat” pancreatic-cancer-cpt5139@lists.careplace.com
To: virginiadef@cox.net
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2007 6:56 PM
Subject: Re: [pancreatic-cancer] Pancreatic Cancer and SSI Disability

Maybe info from my case will help someone. With just a phone call to the local SS office, and delivery of my medical records I was on disability in 3 weeks. SS backed up the dates to the first sign of symptoms, 14 months prior, so my payments actually started 8 months before my application was made. “Terminal” in the records seems to make the difference between my case and the normal hoops they make you jump through. Advice from my surgeon, which I politely told the SS rep on the phone, was to contact my Congessional Representative and mention that this was a “Terry
” case. I don’t know what that meant, and never did contact my congressman. The SS reps were seemingly caring and very helpful, even keeping me up to date by phone on the progress of my application.