Pancreatic Divisum?

Please help if possible…I have been having bouts of acute pancreatitis for almost two years now. I am only 27 years old and becoming very frustrated and depressed. I had a stent placement this summer and got pancreatitis one month after returning home. This tells me the procedure didn’t work and I went through a lot to do it. Does anyone have advice on what to do for this congenital abnormality? Does anyone know a good doctor in Wisconsin or the surrounding areas for a second opinion? Thanks so much for reading my post. Hope to hear from someone soon.

Hello, I have had acute pancreatitis and after 6 months mine turned into Chronic. You need to Follow up with a doc to make sure you don’t have Chronic… I went to University of Indianapolis, and saw Dr. Lee McHenry. He now has referred me on too Dr. Sutherland at the University of Minnesota. There, I am having an Autologous Pancreas Islet Transplant in December, they said this is the only way to fix Chronic Pancreatitis…

What is an autologous inlet pancreas transplant?

I wonder if you have had this for 2 years if you do not have chronic by now?..there just is not much you can do but lots of rest keep hydrated… Drink water drinkwater and drink more water !!! And takepain and nausea control meds. My dr had thought about sending to dr layman at the univ. of indiana for a stent placement as I only have the head and part of the neck left of my pancreas, but they are afraid of throwing me into a full blown attack, that is the last thing I need, so I have opted for pain management and rest, and try to keep stress down to a minimum. I also anti depressants as I get so depressed. Hope this helps and I hope you are feeling better !

julie

If you google the procedure you will find some information. I think that about the 3rd or 4th one down is a report that has Dr. Sutherlands name on it.

Vonnie

DD1,

Pancreatic islets are small clusters of endocrine cells in the pancreas that include insulin-producing beta cells. Transplantation of islet cells has been investigated to treat patients with chronic pancreatitis, and more recently type 1 diabetes.

Patients with chronic pancreatitis may experience intractable pain that can only be relieved with a total or near-total pancreatectomy. However, the pain relief must be balanced against the certainty that the patient will be rendered an insulin-dependent diabetic. Autologous islet cell transplantation may be used to prevent this morbidity. During the pancreatectomy procedure a suspension of isolated islet cells is created from the resected pancreas specimen and injected into the portal vein of the liver, where the cells function as a free graft.

Allogeneic islet cell transplant has been used in patients with type 1 diabetes to restore normoglycemia in an effort to reduce or eliminate the long-term complications of diabetes such as retinopathy, neuropathy, nephropathy, and cardiovascular disease.

Islet cells are subject to regulation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which classifies allogeneic islet cell transplantation as somatic cell therapy, requiring pre-market approval. Islets also meet the definition of a drug under the federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. Clinical studies to determine safety and effectiveness outcomes of allogeneic islet cell transplantation must be conducted under FDA investigational new drug (IND) regulations.

Julie,

I find stress really does me in! The pain is exhausting and wears you out. I do what you do…not on anti-depressants but the health food store turned me on to something really good. Email me if you are interested in it. Sending a hug and wishes for a pain free day for all of us!

Jackie

Thanks- I too have chronic…I too went from Acute to chronic in six months.Thanks for the input. I will make an appt. to see Dr. Sutherland when I’m done with school this year. Can’t take too much time during the school year.

Jackie