Pancreatonomy with islet cell transplant

Hi…Due to a stircture in the head of my pancreas I now have to be dilated every 8-10 weeks and inbetween I am still experiencing horrible pain. I have a terrible fear of having a whipple and am trying to get more information about the total removal of the pancreas with islet cell transplants. I was acute for 30 years and have been chronic for the past 10 years due to a stent that slipped and made my already deformed pancreas worse because the doctor’s refused to take the stent out when I told them I was in terrible pain.

My entire profile is a . I would like to talk to anyone who has undergone either a whipple or pancreatonomy. If you send me your phone, I will call you back or if you want to call me, my number in Napa Valley, CA is . I am worn out by this constant pain and don’t think I can live like this much longer as it’s wearing me out totally. So if you have information to share ,please contact me.

Thanks,

Carolyn Bloom

I read your message and I felt I needed to reply. I am having a CT scan to look at maybe a structure at the pancreatic head. I maybe right behind you on your problem. I went thru stents and one time it was overlooked on a x-ray and it was in for 9 months. It was a disaster and had stents put in every 3 months for a year. They have been out a year and now the doctors are talking about surgery. I will let you know how the CT scan comes out and what I learn when I go back to the doctor in Houston. I would not have my pancreas today if I hadn’t gone for a second opinion. Some doctors are cut happy and some think it is the last resort. It should be the last resort. My niece, 16 yrs old, had the Puestow procedure 2 years ago and she is doing fine. But who knows how long it lasts. My surgeon in Houston said he did the Whipple procedure on a 70 year old woman and she did fine. He does this surgery every week and feels pretty confident about it. Well, got to go but I will send info to you as I get it. You sound like me, giving out phone numbers and addresses for any advice. There really is no where to go for advice other than this group or someone you know. Hang in there. Candice Askew, Shreveport, LA

Hi Candice,

I had Peustow procedure and then a year after a Whipple procedure.
Regarding the gall bladder situation and the pain. Before the
Symphecterectomy I was in the hospital for two months and they tried to
do all kinds of tests to find out why I’m having so much pain and so
many attacks so close. They used to do the Gall Bladder tests. They
all used to come normal. When the doctors at Jefferson’s decided that I
need to have Peustow procedure they did all tests including gall bladder
test. Guess what the report came perfectly normal. Then when the
surgeon opened up the Pancreatic duct, found a big stone even though,
another doctor removed as many as possible in the Symphecterectomy, she
removed the obstruction and sewed it to the intestines. During the
surgery she noticed that Gall Bladder was totally damaged full with
stones, she removed it.

Sometimes the tests cannot show anything. I heard similar stories about
Gall Bladder here. So, if your doctor thinks the gall bladder needs to
come out maybe it needs to, this procedure sometimes helps the
Pancreatitis attacks to stop also. If that is the main reason of the
Pancreatitis. I think there is nothing wrong in trying. Maybe your
Pancreatitis pain will also get better or you’ll get relief with the
pain you are having. There is always good to go for second opinion
before you decide to go for surgery. Hope this helps, think about it.

I hope everything works out soon and you become pain free or get some
help to get the pain under control with pain medication.
Lots of love and hugs.

Durga.