Personality Change

My dad is a wonderful, caring person, but has recently regressed to child like behavior. He is mad a almost everyone around him, and expect to be treated like he is the center of the world. I guess I’m asking how do people deal with this? He’s just awefull to my mom, who is his primary care giver, and she is having a really really tough time. I give her all the support I can, but I’m really worried about her.

Hi PluckyP,
I would just like to tell you how sorry I am that your father has a brain tumor and that it has caused such devastating changes in his personality. I’m sure it is hard on everyone to be around him, especially your Mom who gets little to no respite. I’m sure that everyone remembers how he used to be and that just makes the whole thing difficult to bare. Sadly, I think this type of personality change is pretty common with brain tumors.
I was diagnosed with Glioblastoma Multiforme in 2000. Surprisingly I am still alive. I just wanted to share with you that I have had some changes in my personality as well. Not to the degree that your father has, but I am often short with my family members and I swear. I never used to swear and I am not around people who do swear so it’s not that some bad influence is rubbing off on me. I think what happened is that my ability to think before I speak has all but diminished. Those little thoughts that are in the back of everyone’s head and for the most part go unnoticed or are at least kept in check end up coming out of my mouth before I have time to decide whether or not I would actually like to say it. I have had to apologize countless times to my husband and my children and I am continually praying that God will bring my mouth into submission. ;o)
Regarding your Dad however, he may not even recognize that his personality has changed. This I’m sure makes it even more difficult to deal with and I’m not aware of any workable solution for you except to perhaps get hospice or someone like that to give your mom a much needed break.
Good luck and God Bless,
~Teresa

I have 2 cysts. one arachnoid and one colloid and I am not sure what does what but I am DEFINETLY experiencing changes in my personality - It’s like I am going senile at 32. I get frustrated at the situation at a whole, but I don’t snap at people.

its scary though. I forget where I am. who my friends are. where I am going. its crazy what two cysts can do…