Phone calls

IS ANYBODY AFRAID OF MAKING TELEPHONE CALLS. I HAVE THIS FEAR AND IT KEEPS ME FROM MAKING APPOINTMENTS,ETC. IM AFRAID I WONT HAVE INFORMATION THAT I NEED AND THAT MY MIND WILL GO BLANK OR I WILL SOUND WEIRD. LIKE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE OUT THERE THAT HAS THIS PROBLEM AND MAYBE WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT??

I write a checklist of the things I want to get across before I make the call. 

It's usually possible to figure out what information will be requested.  I keep that stuff handy. 

I wasn't so organized before getting into nursing.  Now I have to be ready with status reports, medications being taken, their effectiveness, side effects, etc.  I also need to know the patient's date of birth, allergies, physical and mental status, etc. 

If you are prepared before calling, I think it will go easier for you. 

all that does happen to me when I make phone calls unless I am mad unfortunatly its a necessity I don’t mind making phone calls to friends or family but any where else yes my anxiety is there I am getting used to schedualing my rides for errands and dr. appt. and to my volunteering they kind of train you on what they want your address address to where I am going time I want to be there time I want to be picked up in that order if its not they back you up and guide you through it and some knowing I have been doing it for a while get cranky if they guide me through it so but yes cyndy I know where you come from like spirit said write it down I always try to have the addresses right there with me when I call or the question I want to ask with me when I call even though I already have it in my mind some body goes hello my mind goes blank so then I look at that piece of paper or I end up going uh uh uh uh for a few seconds if I don’t have that paper thats then I am like sorry kind of nervous I apoligise half the time boy its fun

I ASK MYSELF WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME THAT I CANT TALK ON THE PHONE. I USED TO BE OUTGOING. HOW DO WE GET LIKE THIS?

your asking the wrong person I have always been like this what I guess the answer is nothing your scared to talk on the phone its frustrating and you feel helpless but like spirit said write a list if you hang up you hang up if you sound stupid you sound stupid who cares just keep trying and hopefully as you do this over and over it gets easier hopefully

Unfortunately, the more we avoid something like that, the greater the related anxiety becomes.  Is there someone you can call, and say totally absurd things to?  In other words, try and get some laughter going.  If you have had some really bad experiences on the phone, it may take a while to develop compensatory positive experience.  I have always hated confrontational calls, even high-pressure telemarketers.  I have gotten pretty good at ending those discussions quickly.