Physician/surgeon recommendations around New England

Hello all. I’m a 32yo female in Connecticut. I was diagnosed with achalasia in April of 2008. I had a Heller Myotomy with fundoplication at Yale, (done by Dr. Bell) in June 2008. By November 2008 I was right back to my presurgery symptoms and had a balloon dilation done by Dr. Sheth (Yale Digestive Diseases). Now I have the old symptoms once again.

I had another barium swallow a week and a half ago and was a bit frightened to see how stretched out my esophagus has become. Apparently my doctor felt the same way and I’m scheduled for another dilation at next week.

I’ve been happy with the care I’ve received at Yale, but definitely need another opinion or two. My doctor has raised the possibility of redoing the surgery and I’d certainly want to get another opinion before I’d consider that.

Have any of you had wonderful experiences with doctors or surgeons in or around the tri-state/New England area? I’m becoming quite concerned about further damage/stretching of my esophagus and the possibility of having to have it removed down the road.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rayn

Tom Rice at the Cleveland Clinic – worth the trip.