Please help me!

Hi all,

I am very new to this support forum & I know nothing of DWS but I am hoping that some of you maybe able to guide me in the right direction.

I am 16.4 weeks pregnant & I have had to have a brain scan on my baby which should the baby was missing the cerebellar vermis but both lateral hemispheres of the cerebellum present. The frontal skull is slightly lemon shaped, the consultant was unable to visulise the corpus callosum & cavum septum pellucidum do to the baby being so small. I have to go back at 18 weeks pregnant for another scan.

We were told to go home with no information at all about DWS, I have looked on the web & can’t really seem to find anything conclusive about it.

I have lots of questions as I really want to know what life will be like for baby?
What are we to expect, will baby look different, will he/she have a normal life, job, own home, normal schooling etc… We have no idea what to expect, so I’m sorry if my questions are hurtful to anyone.

Please help me as much as you can.

Thank you for taking time to read my posting.

Michelle

I will be out of the office until June 18, 2007, and will be checking email and voicemail occassionally.

If you have an urgent request, please contact Vantrice Fuentes at (505) 284-0197.

Hi Michelle,

I am sorry I can’t be of much help for you. We sadly just lost our baby girl at 7months. Our baby had been diagnosed with Dandy Walker Variant (partial absence of the vermis) through ultrasound at around 16wks and we had met with pediatric neurologists and had, had an MRI.

They were only able to tell us that there is a wide range of outcomes for babies with DW - ranging from completely normal to severe mental and/or motor delays. I am sure this is little comfort to you, but please note that there are many people in these forums and groups (If you haven’t already you should join some of the support groups on yahoo) that have children with DW who are doing really really well and say that they would not give their child up for anything. On the support groups on yahoo you will also find many adult posters with DW who are also doing well.

The information online can be very scary and I think that with DW it is a lot of wait and see, which I know from personal experience is very frustrating.

Take care,
Linsay

Hi Michelle - my DD is 21 YO and missing her vermis, too. She is fully functional. She was adopted, so we know nothing of any prenatal care, but it was discovered when she was 6 months. She also had mild hydrocephalus. She was shunted then and has had a series of revisions as needed.

Hang in there. Try Yahoo Groups, also - there are several DW groups over there, some more active than others. If you need to talk, let me know. HTH

Thank you for your replies.

I’m sorry for your loss Lins, that is a tragic thing to hear. When you say you lost your baby girl at 7 months was that at 7 months pregnant or after she was born? My thoughts are with you. x

wwmama2007
Can you tell me what shunted is, why & how is that done?
Also what is revisions?
Does your DD live a normal as they say life, such as schooling, job opertunities etc?

Thank you both.

Michelle x

HI Michelle,

Our baby girl (Ella) was stillborn at almost 31wks pregnant. We are having an autopsy done, which will hopefully reveal the cause of death and also if the DW was a factor.

Thank you for your condolences.

This site is unrelated to dandy walker itselt but goes over the shunting procedure should your baby need it.
http://www.umm.edu/surgeries/ventriperishunt_1.html

Take care

Michelle - DW cysts can cause a backup of fluid in the brain. If it builds up, the pressure can cause problems w/everything the brain controls, depending upon where the pressure is. Shunting is a tube that drains the fluid into the body cavity and off the brain. There are several different kinds of shunts - the neurosurgeon can tell what will work best for each person. Revisions are when the shunt needs to be repaired or replaced. I learned that the spinal fluid which flows through the brain is not just clear. There is ‘gunk’ (how’s that for a medical term! LOL) in it and the tubes can clog. Oh - ever seen an aquarium tube? You got it - that’s about what they are and they are attached to a valve which regulates the flow.

My DD is of normal development and intelligence - perhaps maybe even a little smarter than normal, if I brag a bit! She does have health problems, though - people with shunts are prone to headaches and we have just discovered that perhaps the surgeries have done some nerve damage causing more headaches. She is going to a pain clinic at U of Chicago for nerve blocks and they seem to be helping.

Due to the headaches, she has had problems keeping up with ‘life’. It is hard to keep up with peers when you just go to bed for a week or two in pain. She did attend grade school, but we started homeschooling in jr. high. She attended high school off and on, but it was overwhelming for her ttrying to keep up with the time off she needed. She got her GED and if we can get the headaches under control, she hopes to take some college classes. She does have some depression problems because of missing so much in her teenage years - she spent her 18th bday in the hospital, recovering from the third surgery in 4 months - but she has dated, been engaged at one point, just all normal stuff.

Try to remain calm when you are reading about DW. There is a wide range of disablilities. We were told almost nothing when she was a baby, then when she started having shunt problems 10 yrs. later, we started studying up on DW. It was almost like learning about a totally different problem. She has no outward signs of DW and is not really effected by it except the need for shunting and the surgeries.

Hello, you probably have had your baby by now or are about to. I just wanted to share with you about my baby. Her name is Savannah and she will be one in a few weeks. She is doing great. getting all of her milestones right on time or before. she is trying very hard to walk already. She does look different than most babies because she is the cutest thing ever. ok, ok…i am the mom and i can brag a little. lol. to be honest you wouldn’t know anything was wrong with her unless i told you. i wish you the best of luck and if you have any questions please let me know.
Charity

We lost our baby girl at 21 weeks, the PM showed there were severe brain abnormalities & she would have been severely disabled both mentally & physically have she gone to term!
Thank you for you messages.

I am very sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my prayers.

I am so sorry for your loss. I know exactly what you’re going through. We lost our baby boy when I was 20 weeks pregnant because of Dandy Walker syndrome. We were also told that he would not make it had he gone to term. I went on to have a perfectly healthy girl and am currently 26 weeks pregnant with a little boy. He has no signs of dandy walker syndrome. After I lost our first baby I wasn’t sure I’d ever be able to have a baby. I didn’t know if it was genetic in my case or not. My doctors have just said it was a fluke. Who knows why it happened. I had a lot of heavy bleeding the first three months. I always wondered if that was somehow connected to why he didn’t develop normally. I went to the ER twice. They were pretty sure I was going to miscarry but I never did. Did anyone else here have a lot of heavy bleeding? I still struggle with everything that happened. Even though having my daughter helped me heal some I still have a lot of pain, and it’s still hard for me to even think about it without crying.
You’re in my prayers. If you ever want to talk please message me on here or you can email me at sagesgirl3535@yahoo.com.

hugs

Rachel

Hi Michelle

I am very sorry for your loss. Please know that there are people thinking about you.

Hi Michelle,
No, your questions aren’t hurtful to me, they are necessary and you have the right to know. Find a doctor who is knowledgeable and cares. They do exist! Do not take no for an answer. From all I have read on DWS, with proper treatment, largely depending on the severity of DWS your child may have, He/she will grow up and be a wonderful person. In the event your baby has DWS severely, yes she/he may be handicapped, but you will still have a wonderful person in your life, and trust me, these little brave ones are a joy to behold and there will never be a dull moment! Check out the Dandy-Walker homepage and Dandy-Walker Alliance on the Web. Both are great sources of information, and it would be wise to educate yourself as much as you can, so in turn you can educate your Doctor!

Hugs,

DuVette

Dear Michelle,

I did not read the latest post before I posted my reply. I am so sorry you lost your little one. I feel dreadful that I wrote to you with encouragement only to find out I was too late. Please forgive me…

DuVette

Hi Michelle! My daughter has DW and she is almost 3 years old. She is developmentally delayed, and is just now learning to sit up by herself. She has petite mal seizures 5- 10 times a day, with her meds. She is a happy baby and very social. Finding this out was very hard for our family, but we have gotten through it just fine. I am so happy that she is mine and wouldn’t have it any other way. With children that have DW, I have learned that you just have to live day by day. Enjoy life!

Hi Michelle,

I know exactly how you are feeling as I also suffered the same experience as you in January this year. I also has an Autopsy and the results were as my consultant advised and even more abnormalities were found linked to DWP. I’m back at work now and I can say that I am glad that I joined the Forum only if to realise that I am not alone. As we both know it is really hard especially when you are so far gone. I just have to have faith and hopefully in time never forget but slowly move on your in my thoughts and prayersx

Hi everyone, i was 21 weeks pregnant when i had my first scan, it was then that they told us that the baby had dandy walker syndrome, it was not everything though, he also had an open skull! 2mm gap. I was in tears for weeks, i had lots of scans and MMRI. It all became easier when i decided to accept what was, I became calm and positive. Leo was born with no gap in the skull, we decided not to have any more examinations as they seemed experimental. We simply wanted to enjoy him. He is seven today, beautiful, healthy boy, very good at school wise and lively. Dr know very very little about this disease but they will not admit it. Good luck with your outcome.