Post-op chiari surgery

I had the decompression surgery on November 24, 2007. I am still suffering from severe pain and my doctors don’t seem to have a clue as to why. Is there anyone else out that is suffering even after the surgery?

I have a lot of pain still and it’s been almost a year since my surgery. I
have headaches everyday and still have pain in my arms…don’t knwo what to
do

On 6/11/07, scared1 acm-cpt4255@lists.careplace.com wrote:

no my 2yo son

Reply-To: acm-cpt4255@lists.careplace.com
To: beth_8@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [acm] post-op chiari surgery
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 11:10:33 -0400

f you are still in that much pain I would be going back to the dr. that did the surgery .

I don’t want to be a downer but I had my surgery on Oct. 16, 1995 and I still have pain, almost daily. It’s actually worse then it was before the surgery. The way my doctor explained it to me is this: the surgery will stop the progression of the current symptoms. It will not stop any new symptoms from developing or stop the old symptoms from continuing. He said most of his patients don’t have any symptoms, new or old, after surgery. However, some do and some even get worse. He is a very well known Neurosurgeon and Professor, so he should know what he’s talking about. The best in the business is Dr. Milhorat though, if you can get an appt with him or his doctors, you’ll be very lucky. Technically, they can always go in and do more surgery (more roto rooter type, or a shunt) but for me, I think I’ll wait because I don’t want it to get even worse.
Good luck.

hello are you the one that has chiari
----- Original Message -----
To: REMMEL50@netins.net
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 10:08 AM

I have had the decompression surgery and 3 months later had to have the VP shunt put in. This worked the I found out a year later that the decomprssion surgery was the problme. The opening they cut was so big that the cerebellum is pulling though the opening and pressing down on my spinal cord & brainstem. I am now in bed full-time and getting ready to have surgery to correct this. I would highly reccommend Dr. Xiao Di at the Cleveland Clinic he is the first doctor that I have seen that has answers and hopefully the answers to the problems. I am having surgery on Tuesday the 17th to correct this. I will let you all know what will happen.

HI, we LOVE Dr. Di. He did my son’s surgery. My son is 2 and was dx with
Chiari 6 weeks ago, had the surgery 4 weeks ago. We see Dr. Di tomorrow for
our 2nd visit after the surgery. He has spent hours with my husband and I,
explaining everything to us. He has drawn pictureds, etc. He has amde us
feel as comfortable and educated as possible. His nurse, jenny is wonderful
too. I would reccommend him as well. Tyler was #106 to have the endoscopic
surgery done and so far so good! Good luck!

Reply-To: acm-cpt4255@lists.careplace.com
To: beth_8@hotmail.com
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:57:39 -0400

my daughter has decompressed chiari, VP shunted hydrocephalus and I meet
with the endo tomorrow about growth hormone

In a message dated 7/10/2007 10:10:56 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
acm-cpt4255@lists.careplace.com writes:

hi. i’m going to my first check up in three years for my 13mm herniation in a couple weeks (couldn’t see anyone cause I lost my insurance) but I’m really nervous that they’re going to opt for surgery cause i’m in extreme pain. For months now I can’t even touch my scalp because the entire left side of my head feels like a bruise … has anyone ever had this symptom? was it serious? I can’t even brush my hair at times it hurts so bad … and one of my symptoms is low sensitivity to pain - so i can’t imagine what it’d feel like to someone who’s hypersensitive.