POST TX - HCV STUDIES Dec 2008

Hey all!!
if you haven’t followed the threads i’ve posted in let me fill you in.
i am 59, stage 3 grade 3, genotype 2. i started TX in march '08 and by week 2 was UD with normal liver function. I completed tx in sept. '08. it was a very tough summer and i’m still waiting for the side effects to stop. i just had my 1st post TX tests and i’m glad to say i still have normal liver function (alt / ast) and still UD virla load. my hepatologist christened me SVR and said I COULD LOOK FORWARD TO MY LIVER STARTING TO HEAL ITSELF. it feels great to be on this side of the whole experience. i will post a more detailed account in my journal.

the reason for this thread is to share with everyone, especially those trying to decide to do treatment or not, two studies posted on the Hepatitis Association web site:

if you want to read them on the site they are posted in links on the right side of the home page.
i would be greatly interested in your feed back.

Liver Biopsies Indicate Persistent Inflammation and Fibrosis in HCV Antibody Positive People with Undetectable HCV RNA
December 2008

People who carry antibodies indicating exposure to hepatitis C virus (HCV), but who have undetectable plasma HCV viral load, are generally considered to have inactive disease. Likewise, continued undetectable plasma HCV RNA 24 months after completion of interferon-based therapy is usually regarded as a cure.

But hidden HCV in the liver – even in the absence of detectable virus in the blood – may still lead to liver disease progression, according to a study published in the December 2008 issue of Hepatology.

It is unclear whether HCV has been eradicated or persists at a low level in HCV antibody positive HCV RNA negative individuals, the study authors noted as background, and the natural history of the disease and liver histology in such individuals are not well characterized.

Matthew Hoare and colleagues from the U.K. studied 172 HCV antibody positive but plasma HCV RNA negative individuals who underwent diagnostic liver biopsies between 1992 and 2000. A total of 102 patients who had any possible causes of liver injury other than HCV were excluded. The remaining 70 participants were analyzed after a median 7 (range 5-12) years of follow-up.

A single pathologist scored biopsy samples according to the Ishak scoring criteria. Characterization of inflammatory infiltrate in selected patients was done using a novel semi-quantitative technique, and results were compared with those of patients with detectable HCV RNA and HCV antibody negative healthy control subjects.

Results

4 of the 70 patients (5.7%) became HCV RNA positive during follow-up.

66 patients (94.3%) remained HCV RNA negative.

5 patients (7.5%) had normal liver biopsies.

54 of the patients with abnormal biopsies (82%) had liver fibrosis, including 16 (24%) with moderate to advanced (stage 2 or 3) fibrosis.

Biopsies from patients with undetectable plasma HCV RNA revealed expanded portal tracts with fewer CD4 cells and more CD8 cells than healthy HCV negative control subjects, but indistinguishable from patients with detectable plasma HCV RNA.

Lobular CD4 staining was absent in control subjects, but present in patients with both undetectable and detectable plasma HCV RNA (more marked in the latter).

“Non-viremic HCV antibody positive patients have a liver biopsy that is usually abnormal,” the study authors conclude. “Fibrosis was present in most with similar inflammatory infiltrate to viremic cases.”

The added that, “The presence of a CD8 rich inflammatory infiltrate suggests an ongoing immune response in the liver, supporting the view that HCV may persist in the liver in the majority of HCV RNA negative cases.”

Department of Medicine, School of Clinical Medicine, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK; Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK; Clinical Microbiology and Public Health Laboratory, Health Protection Agency, Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge, UK; Medical Research Council (MRC) Cancer Cell Unit, Hutchison/MRC Research Centre, Cambridge, UK.

M Hoare, WT Gelson, SM Rushbrook, and others. Histological changes in HCV antibody-positive, HCV RNA-negative subjects suggest persistent virus infection. Hepatology. 48(6): 1737-1745. December 2008. (Abstract).

Although Hepatitis C Treatment Reduces The Virus, Liver Damage Continues

10 Dec 2008

Treating patients who have chronic hepatitis C and advanced liver disease with long-term pegylated interferon significantly decreased their liver enzymes, viral levels and liver inflammation, but the treatment did not slow or prevent the progression of serious liver disease, a study finds.

These findings come from the clinical trial, Hepatitis C Antiviral Long-Term Treatment Against Cirrhosis (HALT-C) and are reported in the Dec. 4 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine. HALT-C was funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) with additional support from Hoffmann-La Roche Inc.

“The results from HALT- C show without question that maintenance therapy with peginterferon does not prevent progression of liver disease among patients who have failed prior treatments,” said James Everhart, M.D., project scientist for HALT-C in the Division of Digestive Diseases and Nutrition, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), the principal sponsor of HALT-C at NIH. “These findings heighten the incentive to develop more effective drugs for patients with severe liver disease due to hepatitis C.”

Peginterferon therapy for up to 48 weeks is standard for chronic hepatitis C. But patients who do not have a sustained response to initial therapy have been given the drug over a longer time based on studies showing that this approach suppresses viral and enzyme levels, even if the virus is not completely eliminated. However, it was not known if long-term therapy would improve important clinical outcomes such as liver damage and death.

HALT-C, a randomized multicenter trial of 1,050 patients with chronic hepatitis C who had failed prior treatment to eradicate the infection, tested whether long-term treatment with peginterferon alfa-2a would reduce the development of cirrhosis, liver cancer, or liver failure. The 517 patients randomized to the treatment arm received 90 micrograms of peginterferon in weekly injections for 3.5 years. The 533 patients in the control arm underwent the same follow-up and care as the treated patients including liver biopsies, quarterly clinic visits and blood tests. All patients had advanced liver fibrosis, a gradual scarring of the liver that puts patients at risk for progressive liver disease and liver failure.

The outcomes studied in HALT-C were death, liver cancer, or liver failure, and for those who did not have cirrhosis initially, the development of cirrhosis. At the end of the study, 34.1 percent of the treated group and 33.8 percent of the control group had experienced at least one outcome. Patients in the treated group had significantly lower blood levels of the hepatitis C virus and improvement in liver inflammation. However, there was no major difference in rates of any of the primary outcomes between the groups.

Among treated patients, 17 percent stopped peginterferon after 18 months and 30 percent stopped the drug after two years. Infections, musculoskeletal or digestive problems were the most common reasons for stopping the drug.

According to HALT-C study chair and principal investigator Adrian M. Di Bisceglie, M.D., professor of internal medicine at Saint Louis University School of Medicine in Missouri, looking into how maintenance therapy works in non-responders is an important step. “Patients should not receive interferon as maintenance therapy for chronic hepatitis C. However, we can build on what was learned in HALT-C to identify better treatments that may delay or prevent liver damage in patients with advanced disease,” he said.

Article adapted by Medical News Today from original press release.

The hepatitis C virus infects more than 100 million persons worldwide and as many as 4 million in the United States. Hepatitis C ranks with alcohol abuse as the most common cause of chronic liver disease and leads to about 1,000 liver transplants in the United States each year. The best current antiviral therapy of pegylated interferon given by injection in combination with oral ribavirin for about 6 months to a year eliminates the virus in about 50 percent of infected patients.

The following researchers and clinical centers conducted the HALT-C study:

Dr. Jules L. Dienstag, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass.
Dr. Adrian M. Di Bisceglie (Study Chair), Saint Louis University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, Mo.
Dr. Anna S. Lok, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor
Dr. Gyongyi Szabo, University of Massachusetts, Worcester
Dr. Timothy R. Morgan, University of California, Irvine and VA Long Beach Healthcare System, Long Beach, Calif.
Gregory T. Everson, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver
Dr. Herbert L. Bonkovsky, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington.
Dr. Karen L. Lindsay, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles
Dr. William M. Lee, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas
Dr. Mitchell L. Shiffman, Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, Richmond
Dr. Chihiro Morishima and Dr. David Gretch, University of Washington, Seattle
Dr. Kristin K. Snow, New England Research Institutes, Watertown, Mass.

Wonderful news - coming from a 57 yr. old who started treatment in 6/05 and
ended in 5/07 - back then we had to do 48 weeks - and it wasn’t easy - but i
was UD at first month’s test and every once since. I am still working on side
effect damage. My worse problem is the fibrosis in all of my tissues due
to the dehydration - that is my theory - with which my PT doc totally agrees.
I have reconditioned my bod 2 times - but had to have a surgery each year
and lost it - I’m on my fourth round of PT. I also suggested to my liver
clinic at the U of Washington to hydrate folks each month when they come in - it
couldn’t hurt.

Does anyone else out there have fibrosis in their muscles and connective
tissues from the treatment?

In a message dated 2/25/2009 10:16:46 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
hepatitis-c-fft-11744@lists.fireflyhealth.org writes:

Yall have you noticed our little hep C forum is becoming more and more active. Thank you all for participating I need you. And Patricia thank you for your oh so kind offer of support. I for one want and need it.
sending you all hugs and prayers for all our recoveies.

Patricia
I was hopitalized 2 x’s for profound dehydration during my first tx. I was UD within the first 6 weeks of tx but the virus broke through during the last 2 months of tx. something my GI had never encountered.
They stopped tx then as my WBC would not return to normal with the standard Nupagen shots and an oncologist had to be called in, Several of his efforts finally brought results.
I am 1A genotype stage 3 with bridging.
When I read this info it sounded like tx wasn’t really effective and that the disease continued to progress… have I understood this wrong???

KM you are THE DUDE!!!
loving you all.

Nope - as far as I know (just had new blood tests) no virus detectable - and
was so with the first month test after starting treatment. I am so sorry to
hear you had such a time and the damn thing resurfaced. I too took Nupagen
several times - made my bones hurt. I know the virus never leaves us - and
if we ever get into a situation where we are forced to suppress our immune
systems (chemo for cancer for instance) it will resurface. I thank God and the
Universe that the suffering through 45 weeks out of 48 were successful - I
want to help those going through this a 2nd or 3rd time and I want to tell you
all how brave you are - you are my heroes and I love you all. I am also
Genotype 1A with bridging fibrosis - now I have fibrosis all over my body in all
my muscles - I think because of the extreme dehydration as I’ve said before.
PT docs are using a protocal of Astym - where they smooth the tissues using
tools - it hurts, but seems to be helping. Tendons have tightened and
ligaments are weak - all connective tissue was affected by the treatment - I want
to medical professionals to know this - guess i should write my NAC at the
University of Washington where I was treated. I have not had another biopsy
since 2003 when I found out I had the HCV - so should probably persue that.
Right now I’m recovering from the longest, loudest MRI I’ve ever known - brain
tumor - never thought much about MRI’s - have had so many - but this was
called a Stealth - and that sure didn’t mean quiet - I’m sure it has permanently
affected my hearing. Ah well - life goes on - obla dee obla da

I love and need you all - and want to help anyone I can.

Patsy (Patricia) Bowen

In a message dated 3/20/2009 5:29:27 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Dear Patsy:

Congrats on beating the virus, but so sorry you are still suffering the
after effects. I am 73 years old, a 1b with cryobulinemia and have never done tx
and will not. I am now on a non toxic dose of ribavarin, which is helping
me some, but my red blood cells tank even at low doses:(. The greatest help
you can be is to be sure that everyone knows what you have been through with
the horrible tx and how you continue to suffer. I frankly don’t know which is
worse, the disease itself or the tx. I am hoping for the combo of a
protease inhibitor and a polyermase inhibitor with studies in Australia and New
Zealand, all showing 100% cure rate for 1 genotypes. So hope springs eternal. I
wish you well and I hope your body will recover.

Love to you,
Sheila
**************Worried about job security? Check out the 5 safest jobs in a
recession.
(http://jobs.aol.com/gallery/growing-job-industries?ncid=emlcntuscare00000003)

River & Patsy:
the second study is about people with cirrhosis, advanced liver damage.
the first one is the one that i have questions about. it’s from the UK and is pretty ambiguous:

“Matthew Hoare and colleagues from the U.K. studied 172 HCV antibody positive but plasma HCV RNA negative individuals who underwent diagnostic liver biopsies between 1992 and 2000. A total of 102 patients who had any possible causes of liver injury other than HCV were excluded. The remaining 70 participants were analyzed after a median 7 (range 5-12) years of follow-up.”

that does not tell us much about the 70 patients in the study. geno type, liver damage befor tx, age, drinkers, etc, etc.
I would show this to my hepatologist but i know what he’d say.

i hope you are both feeling better.

peace
KM

Hope does spring eternal indeed. That is very exciting - I was waiting for a
trial but it failed in 2005. I know that they will soon come up with
something - it helps that the HIV studies seem to overlap with the HCV studies -
funding wise as there is so much ignorance about this disease that most of us
contracted over 20 years or more ago. At any rate I would be doing just what
you are - waiting. I hope you are familiar with HCV Advocate - a wonderful
website and newsletter that keeps you in the know on new treatments trials. I
followed this avidly for 2 years while undergoing naturopathic treatment -
with two naturopathic providers - one who specialized in HCV and HIV and
treated with supplements bought at dispensary but not covered on insurance of
course, and another who also provided acupuncture and nutritional advice. I went
off wheat, dairy, and sugar to reduce inflammation, and added a multitude of
antioxidants, natural anti-inflammatory supplements, probiotics, and just
whatever we could do with both nutrition and complimentary medicine to reduce my
viral load and the inflammation in my liver. It worked - I went from a 15
million viral load to 800,000 in two years and was able to work full time at a
fast paced job as Corporate Secretary to the CEO of Food Lifeline - our
local affiliate of Feeding America (used to be America’s Second Harvest). I
started to slow down and got dumber - at least that’s my way of putting it - I
couldn’t do simple tasks and felt more and more often like I had a bad flu -
would spend all weekend in bed - so I got blood tested and found my
inflammation levels high and that my enzymes shot up and stayed there - which indicated
the liver was being damaged so I did the treatment. But believe you me - if
my enzymes had remained stable - and my energy level normal as well as
cognitive function, I would still be waiting for a less toxic treatment. I am on
SSA disability and have been for 3.5 years now. It was very easy to get -
and apparently easy to keep at my tender age of 57. So hope does spring
eternal - and I will hold a place in my heart for you and your success in beating
and/or surviving this mean virus.

Patsy B

In a message dated 3/31/2009 1:00:22 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Dear Patsy:

Thanks for your testimony about all you have done including tx. I have been
in several trials, when I was young enough to qualify. Now, at age 73,
nobody wants me, lol. Too old now for both tx and trials. So many of us waiting
and hoping for a cure that doesn’t destroy the immune system for so many
people. I am not sure about what is right for anyone else, but personally I
will never do interferon. I hope you remain an advocate and yes, I do have HCV
Advocate and get all the news daily from them and at google. I will fly to
Australia if this new tx is as successful as it appears to be if it will take
years for the FDA to give it the OK. Time is not on my side.

I wish you wellness and a good and healthy life.

Love to you,
Sheila
recession.

Dear Sheila - I know that time is on your side - this time - somehow I just=20
know it - you are a fighter - a brave and courageous woman - if you go to=20
Australia - enjoy the trip as best you can - I’ve always wanted to go ther=
e -=20
maybe in the next lifetime. HCV Advocate rocks!! =20
=20
In love and light,

Patsy
**************New Low Prices on Dell Laptops =E2=80=93 Starting at $399=20
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220631247x1201390185/aol?redir=3Dh=
ttp:%2F%2Fad.doubl
eclick.net%2Fclk%3B213540506%3B35046329%3Bx)

((((Patsy)))) There is no reason to go to Australia until the trials are
finished and prove to be as successful as they appear to be right now. I hope
you are right, I sure would like more time, but it is what it is, this disease
has taken so many during the 10 years I have been at the forums. Nasty
virus!! Thanks for your upbeat feelings though, I hope and pray you are right.
I would love to see a real Koala bear:)

Love to you,
Sheila
recession.

Yes, and you are so right, we all need each other!!
recession.

If you can't see this email please click here
Sheila Kramer
Sheila Kramer sent you photos on Tagged
Want to see the photos?
Click Yes if you want to see the photos, otherwise click No.
But you have to click!

Please respond or Sheila may think you said no :(

Click here to block all emails from Tagged Inc., 110 Pacific Mall Box #117, San Francisco, CA. 94111
<!-- bjnor --

In a message dated 6/6/2009 10:23:14 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

dummy
i don’t think this is the appropriate place to send advertisements…

km