Pregnancy and addisons disease

Hi I would love to find out some info on pregnancy and addison’s . I am currently trying to get pregnant but still a little worried about the meds and there levels If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated. much love to all. kelly

http://www.addisons.org.uk/info/manual/pregnancy.pdf

qpdoll, I searched and found a pretty good article on pregnancy and Addison’s Disease. I was diagnosed years after my children were born, but I think you will be fine as long as you have your meds monitored. Don’t overdose or underdose.

Carol

----- Original Message ----
To: dmbcab2000@yahoo.com
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2007 11:19:45 AM
Subject: [addisons] Pregnancy and addisons disease

I have had two children while suffering from Addison’s. My medication did not change. I take 20 mg Hydrocortisone and .05 Florinef in AM and 10mg Hydrocortisone in PM. My pregnancies were very very rough, though. With both I had hypermesis, which is constant vomitting. This is bad with Addison’s! With my second child I had a very severe Addisonian crisis and was hospitalized for that for a few days. Unfortunately, I had been telling my doctor how bad I felt for months before this. At the point I got to the hospital I was told that in two more days I probably wouldn’t have survived.

My children were both a little early, the first 5 weeks and the second 3 weeks. They were both very healthy, and they believe that the use of steroids may have helped in their development, though they were pre-term. There is not research with Florinef (fludrocortisone) and pregnancy but they are working on that.

So, while you can get pregnant and have very healthy children with this disease, I encourage you to treat your symptoms very aggressively.

I had a horrible first pregnancy before I was diagnosed. Lost severe weight, horrible recovery, hyperemesis. Second pregnancy followed diagnosis and started very badly. I began losing weight and vomiting 10-15 times a day, shortly after which I switched endocrinologists. I upped my dose from 20 mg to 40-60 mg of hydrocortisone a day. I felt much better, baby was born great. Everything went off without a hitch and he is currently terrorizing his older sister.