Pregnancy and FMD?

Has anyone in the group either gone through a pregnancy knowing they had this condition, or been diagnosed post-pregnancy where it was suspected during? If so, and insight or information you could share would be very helpful. Thanks.

I was diagnosed post-pregnancy.

My blood pressure skyrocketed when I was 37 weeks pregnant, and I was induced then. My OB thought my BP would go back to normal after delivery, but it never did.

My daughter was 3 when I got a correct diagnosis. (FMD in my renal arteries.)

I have no confirmation of this, but I’ve always thought the pregnancy hormones must have had a role in my becoming symptomatic.

I was diagnosed in February 2004.

My beautiful daughter was born in May 2006.

Doctors would not recommend me getting pregnant, but didnt advice me not to get pregnant either…
They said I had to evaluate the risk of new strokes against my own wishes to have a child… It was up to me.

Not easy, if you ask me - and not a good answer from a doctor to a patient.

The pregnancy went very well, no strokes, no embolisms, and no change in my brain (checked with MR before and after).

My BP stayed low - but not too low, and my daughter was born by/with (?) a planned sectio in the 39th week.

I was on blood-thinners all the time, as I normally use, but had to cut most of my painkillers.
I controlled my BP about one time each 14 days.

And I had plenty of extra… whats it called… ultrasounds?

Today I’m glad I took the risk, but I’m not sure if I want to go through it one more time. Now its one more person I have to think of in my evaluation…

But this is in Norway, and here they dont now much about FMD in young people. I’m curious to now what they tell you in other countries.

(Sorry for my bad english)

Thanks for your responses.

kodfishy, were you placed on any blood pressure medications, or did they decide to induce instead of medication?

mai78liss, were you on any blood pressure medication other than the blood thinners? What do you mean by “I controlled my BP about one time each 14 days”…did you take other medications, or what do you mean by “controlled”?

I haven’t had any strokes yet, and haven’t even been diagnosed with FMD, although my father died from a stroke caused by it, and my blood pressure has gone up significantly over the last year. They’ve got me on labetalol, which they use throughout pregnancy here which is doing an ok job of controlling my blood pressure (they may have to up the dose one more time, but it’s pretty close to where they want it now). I’m just curious as to what others experiences have been, as there is very little information on the internet about it.

Hi!
I didnt need any blood pressure medication.
I dont suffer from high PB, and my BP was fine before, during and after the pregnancy.

And I ment “checked”, not “controlled”… Sorry!
The meaning of these two words are almost the same in norwegian…

At 36 weeks, my BP was 120/80. By 37.5 weeks, it was 180/110.

I was already full term when my BP went up, so induction seemed like the right choice instead of meds.

Since then, I’ve been on ACE inhibitors. They’re the only class of BP meds that work for me, and I don’t think there are any ACE inhibitors safe for use during pregnancy.

When I was diagnosed in 2006, I had an autotransplant of my left kidney. My docs have told me that another pregnancy would be very high risk.

I’d like to bring this up again - And ask others what medicines shey could take for high BP while pregnant.

I had FMD in my first preganacy- that lead to premature delivery due to high BP. I was not diagnosed till after preganacy wiht both renal arteries involved. 3 of my curent MD’s recommended against another pregancy, all of them are experienced in handling FMD, one deals just with high BP in pregnancy.

The problem I think I might face is that the more effective BP medicines are not safe in pregnancy.

Please let me know what your experience going into a pregnancy knowing you have FMD, and what medicines you could take

I’ve got nothing. My vascular surgeon told me not to get pregnant again.