Pregnancy Confusion

Hello all,

Hope today is a good day for everyone, if not I’m hoping it gets better!

My husband and I are exploring the possiblity of pregnancy. For those of you who aren’t familiar with me, here are the stats:

Married for: 6.5 years
Diagnosed at: 21.5
Been on Methotrexate for 5 yrs. (along with Humira, Enbrel, Prednisone, etc.)

We have brought the subject up many times, but now are looking to “get down to business.”

My questions are the following, and any feedback or answers are appreciated.

1. Has anyone been pregnant with Behcets?
  2. If so, any problems?
  3. What meds could you take?
  4. Any problems with labor or post-labor?
  5. How was recovery after delivery?
  6. Have your children exhibited symptoms or been diagnosed?
  7. Has anyone experienced sterility from Methotrexate?
  8. If your decision was to NOT have children, how did you arrive at that decision and how did it effect your spouse?
  9. Has anyone tried a surrogate, and did they experience any problems?

Thank you all for your time and patience.

Hi there!

I am 26 and have 2 beautiful girls. I was diagnosed at approx 16. here are my answers to your questions…

1. Has anyone been pregnant with Behcets? Yes. twice!
  2. If so, any problems? None at all
  3. What meds could you take? I was no on heavy meds at he time, just colchicine and prednisone when needed. I swapped the colchine for a daily injection of a blood thinner as i have had two dvt’s.
  4. Any problems with labor or post-labor? None at all, i was worried about ulceration as i tore both times, but nothing.
  5. How was recovery after delivery? Fine, completely normal.
  6. Have your children exhibited symptoms or been diagnosed? no, thank goodness
  7. Has anyone experienced sterility from Methotrexate? i have never taken it.
  8. If your decision was to NOT have children, how did you arrive at that decision and how did it effect your spouse?
  9. Has anyone tried a surrogate, and did they experience any problems?

I hope this helps. I was in remission in both pregnancies and i may even have third. Hope everything goes well for you.

Mel

My wife and I have five children. From what I saw, during her child bearing years, the symptoms decreased and she was healthier. She said that she was miserable, but she had no symptoms compared to the neuro behcets flare ps she has today.

In my humble opinion, I think that the disease goes into remission during the gestational period and for a while afterward.

Now that we are not having any more children, is when all the symptoms were put together and she was diagnosed.

Hiya

I know what you are feeling the thought of falling pregant and coming off the meds you are taking scared me. I however I spent a blissful 9 months with BS hardly showing itself, was the best time for over 10 years. My daughter is now 10 months and the BS is now only starting to bother me. I forgot how bad those mouth uclers could be. I would say go for it as most woment find they go into remisson while being pregant. Hope this helps you decide.

Good luck