Quitting smoking!

Ok. So about a week ago i decided it was time to quit smoking. I try to keep my body in good health the best i can. Low carb high protien. Workout a crazy workout plan. Its crazy not because it is weird or anything it is plain nuts. my hubbie brought it home from one of his friends. i will share it with you later but anyway i decided it was time to quit the cancer sticks. It is really hard. I am going crazy and i am just plain mean lately. But to keep smoking means my lungs hurt after i workout and it also means a shorter life. So i am running my A** off to get rid of some tension. I am 2 days out and i am going CRAZY. i am jittery and shaking. I have a headach and i am snaping at the littlest thing. But i know it’s for the best. Saves on money as well as my lungs. I was up to a pack a day. I was having troubles working out. My workout plan consists of alot of running. It is a build up program. here let me break t down for ya.

WEEKS #1, 2: 2 miles/day, 8:30 pace, M/W/F (6 miles/ week)
WEEK #3: No running. High risk of stress fractures
WEEK #4: 3 miles/day, M/W/F (9 miles/wk)
WEEKS #5, 6: 2/3/4/2 miles, M/Tu/Th/F (11 miles/wk)
WEEKS #7,8: 4/4/5/3 miles, M/Tu/Th/F (16 miles/ wk)
WEEK #9: same as #7,8 (16 miles/ wk)

Physical Training(PT) Schedule - Level I (Mon/Wed/Fri)
Sets and Repetitions
WEEK #1: 4X15 PUSHUPS
4X20 SITUPS
3X3 PULL UPS
WEEK #2: 5X20 PUSHUPS
5X20 SITUPS
3X3 PULL UPS
WEEK #3,4: 5X25 PUSHUPS
5X25 SITUPS
3X4 PULL UPS
WEEK #5,6: 6X25 PUSHUPS
6X25 SITUPS
2X8 PULL UPS
WEEK #7,8: 6X30 PUSHUPS
6X30 SITUPS
2X10 PULL UPS
WEEK #9: 6X30 PUSHUPS
6X30 SITUPS
3X10 PULL UPS

Thats what my crazy hubbie brought home. I would love to know who the crazy fellow who thought this up is. But anyway i was having a hard time doing this because i couldnt breath. Not because i wasnt in shape but because of smoking. So i am quitting. It sure is hard though. Damn i feel horrible. I thought it was supposed to feel good.
~ashley~

Ashley,

I’ve quit smoking a few times in my life (wow, just like drinking…). So far I’ve been tobbacco free since Sept 2006. I’ve tried all the patches, etc. This last time I used none of the aids.

Like booze, living without it is all a battle in my mind. That is why I need a spiritual program to stay clean. If you look up spiritual, it basically means ‘not physical’ - mental. I can’t just physically go to meetings and stay sober. I have to be there mentally, too.

I wanted to quit, and basically gave up quitting. I literally BEGGED God to help me stop. Unfortunately, I have to get to the point where I can do absolutely zero to help myself, and that is when God seems to show up and save the day. This happened to me with smoking.

Physically, the only thing I had to do (God spaking, follow directions) is not smoke the first cigarette. He would take care of the rest.

The first day I did that. Also the second. When the urge to smoke should have been intolerable, it wasn’t. When I got in my car, the urge to light up wasn’t strong at all. It was there, mind you, but it was manageable. When the widthdrawl from nicotine should have been unbearable, like it was other times, it wasn’t really noticed. I honestly felt like I was walking a few inches above the floor.

I’m confident that my prayer, along with the prayer of my wife and kids, helped me.

I wouldn’t be afraid of telling God excactly how you feel. God knows I have multiple times - whether it was dealing with booze, IBD, or smoking. I’ve been so upset that I’d be just about screaming to God (usually not within earshot of others ).

If He will do it for me, He will do it for you too. If you are like me, there will be something you need to learn or do in the process. Mine was to learn more about what compulsion really was. I learned more about complusion in quitting smoking than I ever knew about it from drinking.

I can’t say I knew when it was the right day to simply quit. Really, I did know, but have no idea how to use words to describe it. After I did know it, I had to make sure I DID NOT give up and violate rule #1, which was to smoke one cigarette.

Hang in there, it will get better!

Chip