RA affecting hands

Hello everyone!

I’m new to Careplace and also new to Rheumatoid Arthritis although my doctor suspected it for about 15 years. I’ve received alot of information to process as well as taking steroids to “de-activate” the attack I’m currently in, but what I haven’t received is practical information on how to deal with it and still have a life.

My main symptoms are in both wrists, both thumbs at the base, one shoulder, one knee, and one hip. However, as I’m an office manager and spend most of my day on a computer or using a pen, I would like to know if anyone has any advice on how to get through my day when my hands are screaming at me? The wrists are very stiff all day and hurt quit alot when I try and rotate them in any direction. I feel like the bones are grinding against each other making movement difficult, then all of a sudden they will “jerk free” and rotate to the desired position. This is quite painful, and after a couple of hours I am in agony. Also, I have two herniated discs in my back so I take 800mg of Ibuprofen twice a day and 100mg Morphine twice a day; unfortunately, neither one help the RA pain.

I have read that some people use cold packs and some use heating pads or wet heat, but this is not possible for the 10 hours each day I’m at work. Does anyone have any advice on some home remedies that might work or possibly another type of glove or brace? I’m tempted to go and buy every kind of brace and glove I could find, and if I had the money I probably would, but I don’t, like most people. :slight_smile:

Thank you for any advice you may have, and it’s very nice to meet everyone! I’m really looking forward to talking with people who know exactly what I’m talking about.

Take care!

Froggy Mama