Radiation

I start radiation treatments on Thursday. Tomorrow I go on test run. I.m measured, marked and tattooed. I’ve read everything I can get my hands on. But hearing about it first hand is best.
Blu

Blu,

I don’t know if you had chemo or not,but if you did rads are a walk in the park!!! I really didn’t even get tired from them, I was so sick with chemo that when they were finally over it was so Great not to hurt anymore. I did burn with the rads even though I used ever cream out there! lol But it is just like having a bad sunburn, My radiaoligist gave me percription cream that really helped.

Good luck and God bless!

Sfj

Thank-you for writing Sfi,
I did not have to go through chemo. Mine was caught very early. Last month I had a lumpectomy. I was very lucky it was so tiny. The radiation is to make sure there are no cells that were missed from the surgery.

I have read a lot and was surprised when the dietitian told me to eat ice cream and  use whipped cream and such. Foods high in protein and not to loose any weight. That I could eat what ever I wanted. She wants me on 1800 calories diet. I have struggled with my weight half of my life. One and a half years ago I went to a weight management DR. and changed my lifestyle about the way I ate and lost just over 50 lbs. Now I get to eat all the bad stuff and my body is going to burn off the calories on its own! 

I learned today that the radiation is going to give my insides in the treatment area a real bad sun burn and that’s how it kills the cancer cells. But unforchently it also harms the good cells too. Your body can’t heal it’s self fast enough so it thinks it’s under attack and sends all of it’s energy to that area. Loosing the weight it throws your metabolism off real bad and burns muscle. So you have to keep up your food intake with the energy being used to heal the damaged good cells. We also talked about skin and how to take care of it. and again I got that warm blanket for comfort. Tomorrow won’t be so bad now that I know what to expect.

Blu

I am curious how small yours was as I also did not have chemo. It has
been 13 years and I am curious how long yours was also! Thanking you in
advance.

chatty
----- Original Message -----
To: pbyrns@insightbb.com
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 12:56 AM
Subject: Re: [bc] Radiation

Chatty,
The area the surgeon took in the lumpectomy was 5.5 cm. The area that had the cells in it was 2.5 cm. They were spread through out the area. The diagnose was Ductal Carcinoma in-situ. It was caught very early. It was explained to me that the cancer was inside these cells that were inside the duct.
Today was my second day of radiation. I’m going to take it one day at a time. When I get on the table. I start to well, I can’t really explain it. It’s not any panic attack I’m used to having. This is different I breath unsteady kinda gasping. Like I Don’t know how to breath kinda feeling. But I can’t slow it down just want to take a big deep breath. When the Tec comes in the room I take a deep breath and it stops. Yesterday I started yoga classes, I’m hopeing that will help. The doctor wants me to go up on my klonopin. Like the 11 pills I take in the morning aren’t enough.
Blu

Thanks for writing! I would watch taking klonopin and the yoga sounds
like a really good idea!!! Take care and good luck!
----- Original Message -----
To: pbyrns@insightbb.com
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2007 4:40 PM
Subject: Re: [bc] Radiation

Well, I doing the count down. Ten, nine. After today I will only have eight treatments left. Today I start the booster radiation. Just on the scar from the surgery. Sfj, the doctor did give me a cream that helped me very much with the burns. I found out that my skin will heal with out any scaring. I used aloe vera until the RX. Chatty, I started off using klonopin. Than once I got used of the ruteen, I used deep breathing. Just figured I would give everyone an update.
Blu

i am so glad your almost done!!!!!!!  I am still on vacation and won't be back untill the 22nd so will up date you on me!!!!!  lol   however since the synthroid had kicked in I am feeling so much better!!!!!! 

sfj

On Wed Jun 6 14:32 , blu sent: