Re-Stenosis of the renal arteries

I have read a lot about people needing more than one renal angioplasty procedure - could any of you discuss why this happened to you? and if and why a stent was placed?

Hi kptocs

I have only had to have one renal angioplasty and that was 8 years ago. At
one point there was concern that I was going to have to have another, but so
far no problems! I also did not have to have a stent utilized at the time of
the angioplasty. My doctor told me it was because I had strong healthy
veins, which alleviated the need for one. (Meaning I believe that they
stayed open on their own after the balloon was passed through) I obviously
am not in the medical profession, so I am sure of the exact explanation, but
I am sure there is probably someone out there that can better address this.

Best,
Stephanie

On 3/24/08 12:08 PM, “kptocs” fmd-cpt8192@lists.careplace.com wrote:

A stent is placed in the renal artery if a disection occurs. Usually after the arteries are opened with angioplasty, they remain open-unless you have the more aggressive form of FMD-then they continue to grow back.
Rad RN
---- kptocs fmd-cpt8192@lists.careplace.com wrote:

I have had 4 renal angioplasties in the past 4 years. I have been told that sometimes it can grow back. I needed to have them done because my BP becomes very high with the FMD. I was told that they are unable to put stents in for renal arteries.

I have had four angioplasty procedures for a renal artery stenosis. Due to the FMD I developed an aneurysm in the renal artery. My vascular surgeon wanted me to have major surgery but I took a risk and refused asking for the aneurysm to be coiled and then a stent put in the artery. The risk paid off and it has been two years and no problems. So I the moral is the doctor’s are not always correct and you should do what you feel is best for you. To answer the question, I have a stent in my renal artery.