Removing Lipomas

I was going to have a surgeon remove some but I had emailed Dr Herbst and she told me that unless the surgeon knew what he was doing and got all of the lipoma that it might be a waste because they would grow back…Maybe not in the same place but they would grow back…This is disappointing to me as I really want to get some removed…Has anyone else had any removed but they grew back???

I’ve had several lipomas removed and every one has grown back. Actually, it’s probably not fair to say they were “removed,” as they were biopsied. In one case, it seemed as though the whole of the thing came out, because it almost popped out when the incision was made.

And that one has just recently begun to grow in earnest.

I won’t have any more done unless absolutely necessary.

me< (aka Cindy)

Growing back, yes. I had several removed in three different operations. I felt good for a few months and then they grew back with a vengeance. Many more that were taken out. I will not have more removed unless they become unbearable. Good luck to all.

Bob

I have had some removed on 4 different occasions and they grew back. That was done by a general surgeon. I am having liposuction done, my appt. for consult is dec.6. Hopefully they stay away longer. yes they come back and bring more with them. the last time i had it done the surgeon said there was too many to get and suggested liposuction by a plastic surgeon.

I am only going through the liposuction because of complete numbness in hands, arms, legs and feet. I also have numbness in my back. I have had them picked out one by one and they came back with friends. I haven’t tried liposuction yet.

Sorry just getting back to you on this - have been up and down the past 2 wks. I had some cholestorol deposits removed from around my left eye by a plastic surgeon - they grew back. Had biopsies wherein they removed the entire encapsulated DD tumor and had untold numbers grow around each site with poor healing. Had a muscle bx done at the same time and I have nerve damage in that site and at least 40 new tumors that grew around the incision site again with poor healing. Had a skin cancer removed and several DD tumors grew around that site too. Every time an incision is made, I count on numerous NEW tumors forming surrounding that site.

Personally, I wouldn’t and I will not every allow anyone to cut on me without it being absolutely a medically necessary invasion. I even formed new tumors around the emg/nerve conduction study needle insertion sites. Therefore, nothing will be done to me unless it’s almost a matter of life/death. I have too many autoimmune factors with my DD and it is so not worth it.

Benita

Benita,
I am so sorry that you are going through all of that. THAT STINKS!!! The only reason I am having this done(lipo) is I have been so numb in my hands and arms, also my legs and feet that the pain is increasing with a vegence. I am climbing the walls. At night I can’t hardly walk because of my feet and leg weakness due to poor circulation. My internist who diagnosed my DD suggested we try lipo to remove more at a time verses the past surgeries that I have had only taking out a few here and there. The last time I had some removed for Dr. Herbst study the previous surgeon said there was too many in there for her to get after being in surgery for almost 2 hours. That was only on both of my arms by my elbow. I am reaching for desperation for relief for longer than the previous surgeries. All of mine grew back after surgery but I think by having lipo done maybe he can get more of the root. I don’t heal well after surgery either so believe me I have really thought about this. I am also on oxygen, so surgery is increasingly dangerous for me. i have had more than 15 surgeries in my lifetime and the thought of it really scares me. My appt. with plastic surgeon got moved up to Oct.31 for dec.6th. Just wish me luck. Take care, Hugs Linda

Wow you are really brave to try that and I admire that…If there was some way I could get that done and it qould help releive the pain some I would sure be in there fightinh to get it done…There is too many things I want to do again and any chance I had to be able to get to do them again I would HAVE to take…Good luck stonel Im praying for you…I thought long and hard about all of this and I am going to take ANY chance I can get at being able to do again what I loved the most in life…

I have horrible neuropathies in my hands (left worse than right) and my legs and feet. My back is getting worse and I think I have new tumors along my spine. I know I have one on my tailbone. If they told me that they could give me some relief of the numbness, electric shock pain in hands, feet and back, I’d probably go for lipo too despite all my problems with surgery sites before.

If you can get some relief from pain and it can help with the numbness, it’s probably worth the problems with healing and some of them coming back.

I’ll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck and let us know how you’re doing after the surgery. Waiting so long is just going to prlong your anxiety but it’ll be okay (from what I’ve heard) once you get past the healing of the incision sites.

Benita

I have just had a biopsy done on the oldest of my lumps. the surgeon said that it was abnormal fat but didnt say it was a lipoma, is this because this one was diffuse? i am a little confused. This lump was the first I noticed and has spread unevenly and it feels like little grains of rice further up the arm which are also painful, but I also have pads of soft fat which dont feel like lumps but they are just as painful, does this make sense to anyone?

The surgeon has sent it to histology but I saw it and although it was bright yellow it was very smooth rather like a lychee he only took part of it and that was about the size of my thumbnail, but he could offer no explanation as to why it was abnormal so I guess the diagnosis of Dercums has been confirmed.

Yes, it makes sense to me. It sounds like you have all three types of DD. ( The hard nodules, the soft squishy ones, and the diffuse areas of diseased adipose tissue) Some don’t look or feel like lipomas, but they are. I have all three types too. For me, the diffuse areas are often even more painful than the encapsulated tumors.

Pamela