Running

Hello everyone I’m having some problems with my running and I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips to keep me going. I am in the Army and came off of “maternity” leave in March. Since then I have not been able to keep myself running. When I do stop, I’m barely out of breath, so I know that it’s in my head. I’ve never been a very good runner, but when I did it more often it was easier for me and I didn’t want to stop. Now it just seems like all I can think is, “I’m tired, I didn’t get any sleep, my back hurts…etc” while I’m running and I just stop. On the treadmill at the gym, I can make myself go 2 miles, but for some reason when we are out running as a group I just convince myself to stop. Anyone have any advice?

Thank you for your email. I will be out of the office from 6/20-6/22. For immediate assistance contact Heather Watts at 203-830-2529 email heather.watts@honeywell.com

Thank you

Janine Lennon
Honeywell CPG

Hi mrsbarraza, I’m not sure if you listen to music when you run, but I notice that I can distract myself from pain, being tired, out of breath, etc… when I am listening to really good music. I usually turn it up loud so I can’t even hear my breathing. I’ll tell myself before I head out to listen to 5-7 songs (so roughly 20-25 minutes), but you might run longer :slight_smile:

This has certainly helped me. Once you get back into it, every day will get easier I’m sure!

Good luck!

ajer

I’d urge caution if you are experiancing physical pain because ignoring pain often results in injury. If it’s motivation you are lacking then I recommend you take a look at John “The Penguin” Bingham’s website (www.johnbingham.com) I just finished reading his book “The Courage to Start (Running for Your Life)” and found it to be wonderfully inspiring. He has motivated me to get up off my butt and take up running after 20-odd years of being a dedicated couch potato.