School Issues

Would like some disuccsion on IEP’s and school for children with cp. My d is in a multi disabled class. What math programs have worked with your children? She is learning touchmath right now.

mathpad

-----Original Message-----
From: emilymom cerebral-palsy-cpt8807@lists.careplace.com
To: jazzyboy87@aol.com
Sent: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:37 am
Subject: [cerebral-palsy] School Issues

Thanks Mike, I will look into mathpad…any other suggestions?

Hello,

I haven’t contributed much to this site, up to this point, and I apologize for that.

To give you some perspective on where I’m coming from, in relation to your question, I have CP and I’m also a special education teacher. I currently teach in a “typical” school environment; I have previously taught in a MD classroom.

It is difficult to answer your question, because I can’t really recommend any methods of teaching math without knowing your child. It sounds like you are unhappy with your child’s progress in math, or you are unhappy with how your child is being taught math. Touch math has worked very well for most of my students. If your child can use manipulatives, like counting bears, I have had success in using those. The only honest answer is, “Whatever works”. I know that isn’t a good answer.

As far as IEP issuses, I know what is most frustrating for me, and I’m sure for you also, is that administrators, teachers (yes, even teachers), and the President of the United States, tend to forget that IEP stands for INDIVIDUALIZED Education Plan. We try to fit everyone into to same “box”. No Child Left Behind has been good in some ways, as far as setting standards for what is taught in special education classrooms, but it has largely been a failure because it doesn’t allow for differences among students. Ok, enough of my soapbox.

Anyway, If you have honestly and unbiasedly evaluated your child’s strengths and weaknesses, and if you don’t feel that your child’s needs are being met in the classroom, I would look into getting a parent advocate in your area. They can help you in getting what your child needs.

can your child talk clearly or type yet?? there are a number of typing softwares. where are you located?

Michael Harris Delson

-----Original Message-----
From: emilymom cerebral-palsy-cpt8807@lists.careplace.com
To: jazzyboy87@aol.com
Sent: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:42 am
Subject: Re: [cerebral-palsy] School Issues

Thanks for info everyone.
My dd can speak and type she does the one finger peck method when typing.
Yes, I am very unhappy this year. She has not made progress this year and tested out at a below k level in math among other things. She is 10 and very smart.
The school district has been so uncooperative this year both with things within the IEP and other issues such as my daughters classroom still has circletime. It took 1 1/2months and 3 meetings for me to have her doing academic works while the classroom was signing songs about the weather and days of the week. My d classroom is having breakfast in the school cafeteria when the classrrom bell rings while EVERY OTHER child in that school is going to class and ready for their academic day. My daughter already knows those things. In touch math she learned the touch points from 1-6 from early dec to early may.that’s it in math nothing else. My d is smarter than that .

Yes you can tell I am frustrated and probably spent close to 30-40 houre observing her classroom. another 20 hours in meetings and another 30 hours writing letters and documenting information.

What is the school’s reason for having her in a MD room? Your daughter having CP isn’t enough of a reason for that placement. If she is able to do work beyond what they are doing in the MD room, she should be in a more typical classroom environment with help from a special education teacher. If there are other issues, then the decision should be made according to what is best for her.

It sounds like you’ve done more than enough work in trying to get the school to make changes. Remember, the reason we have special education in this country, and all children have the opportunity for an education, is because parents of special needs children demanded it.