Sexual Drive

Is your sexual drive stronger when you are manic? Mine is crazy, but when its over, and I come back down to reality, I find myself crying all over again. Does anyone else have this issue?

I hate talking about this, but I need some answers. I am having erections and perform well, but I can’t get to my climax and its causing problems for me.

yes it is common to have a higher sex drive when manic it is one of the symptoms my manic sex drive got me into trouble when i was out of town i cheated on my wife big big mistake it is very hard to earn that trust back

i’m on tegretol retard have been for about 3 weeks now and sometimes my sex drive goes like turbo only problem is my partner doesn’t seem to want to know

Hey, I take tegretol for my epilepsy. Is it the same type of medication?

yes excatly the same my partner was on tegretol retatrd a while ago for her epilespy but now on lamactil.

I had my first manic episode last month,my sex drive shot through the roof,not that my husband was complaining.On a more serious note,i am now on chlopromazine and now find when i am manic,that i cannot climax during sex.

I mentioned this to my Doctor,who told me to persevere with the tablets,anyone else had the same on Chlopromazine? 

i did have a high sex drive while being on tegretol retard on their own but then noticed as the chlopromazine he added to my meds began to work my sex drive kinda dwindled.

Not much fun having your sex drive drop is it,espaecially if you are having a manic episode!

It’s funny how the same meds can do such different things depending on the person. Tegretol has decreased my sex drive somewhat. Could it be because it’s used for epilepsy and therefore acts differently?

Don- I forget if you’re on antidepressants’ because the SSRI"s can interfere with your climax.

I appreciate all your comments, things are better now, I think I was just putting too much pressure on myself.  I now and then have trouble, but am accepting it better today.  Thanks again

FINALLY! i’ve been asking in the groups, and no one had info for me. i’m on tegretol- and my libido went through the roof. it is causing so many problems in my life! at least i know now why it is out of control.

My fiance wishes my libido would grow a little. Im just not interested to be honest. Ive always been like this. A small interest wavers through the yr varyingly but generally i could live celebate if i had to. My meds hinder itg even more… something to do with prolactin in the blood. My levels are too high or low and most meds change them lowering the libido. Tegretol?? Dunno? Im on Abilifly which im wanting to change (just gnanged from depakote) which should leave prolactin alone…but that means im not interested strill, just slightly less put off!! LOL! The biggest turn on to me is shopping!!! :slight_smile: X

i hear ya about the shopping girl! =) …but sex is cheaper!!! = }~ seriously… it is not always a good thing, and it played a big role in the recent breakup of my relationship. i have a high drive when not on drugs to begin with, so i dunno if that makes a difference.

I’m having a problem with my sex drive as well, I’m not wanting it, has been going on for about a year now. My husband has erectile dysfunction bkz of his own meds. But I have never had a problem, at least not as bad as I do now. I’m on Wellbutrin and Neurontin, 1800 of Neurontin and 300 of Wellbutrin. I also seem to get manic when I take the Neurontin sometimes, then I want sex, but after that wears off, I’m back to same. I think it is me that doesn’t want it, not him. I haven’t talked to the doc bkz I have no insurance to go to one. I’m not in counseling right now for the same reason, unless I drive 280 miles from where I live, which is a 3-4 hour drive. Any way, if there is any suggestions, please send some my way. Bip

wish i had a sex life !! to busy running to the bathroom sorry but sometimes i wish i did have some sort of sex life but there you go i be hundred and three and be a spinster!!!

Never say never is what i say!

i write an advert in the crinkley bum weekly if they have such things then see what happens i probably die of heartattack from an one reply!!! may be

I was on Tegortal at one time too, but not sur about it increasing my sex drive, I guess it’s been too long since I was on it. But I’m still struggling along. Once in a while, now and then, seems to be my style! :slight_smile: My poor husband, he gets pills to help his erectile dysfunction, and I sit here with the same thing, (not called the same thing, but feels the same I’m sure) lol
Any way, I agree the antidepressants don’t just depress the derpession, but other things as well. When, and if I find out, if there is a solution to this delimna, I’ll let you know. I personally don’t think so, unless I want to go back to the days when I didn’t take my meds! Any way, it’s nice to see someone else with the same problem, but I’m sorry you feel like I do! :frowning: