Sick of chronic pain

Everything about chronic pain stinks…people always think you’re full of it…or better yet, think you’re a druggie. After having back surgery 3 years ago, I’ve lived with this pain that interferes with my life in so many ways. Some days it’s too much to bear and I wonder, how much longer can I live like this? All my friends eventually went away because most of them thought I was being over dramatic and just out to get pain killers. Not too many people understand how hard it is to live like this.

no how you feel its like being all alone everybody whispers you cant sleep cant get comfortable you just want it all to go away

Try everything you can before ever resorting to surgery. Having surgery ruined my life. It didn’t help, set my family back financially, put such an irrepairable strain on my kids…the list goes on. When I can, I’m going to try accupuncture and a chiropractor. Someday I want to be off all this pain medication. I think it worsens my depression.

I’m right there with you. I’ve gotten screwed over by so many doctors trying to treat this problem but there seems to be no end in site. Makes me wonder what happened to the word “CARE” in Health Care. Doctors treat you like an Addict if you ask for help with the pain. I’ve lost soooo much due to Chronic Pain and don’t know how much more my Family and I can take. If you ever find help inform me how. Thanx

My pain started after having my 4th kid, 5 1/2 years ago…EVERYONE thought I was in it for the drugs…I lost a lot of friends over the years because they all think because someone needs vicodin or stronger to get through a day it makes them a junkie…they don’t know that there is no “high” when you are in so much pain…
I had to see a special shrink who deals with pain and I had to take a 4 hour written test to assess whether I was being honest about the pain…they finally determined that I was telling the truth and I’ve been seeing my pain spec for 3 years now…as long as after I had my surgery…He still acts like a jerk sometimes when I tell him it’s been a bad month and I need to increase my dose or something.
I know it’s mean but sometimes I wish everyone who’s accused me of wanting drugs to feel the pain I’ve felt constantly for 5 frikkin years and then judge me. It’s hard and lonely suffering chronic pain.

preach it sister!!!

I don’t blame you Velzy for trying everything to relieve your pain…you can really only take so much…and if it works, more power to you…can you imagine where you’d be right now if not for that??? i’m glad that you found something that helped you…there is a lot of proof that pot is medicinal…don’t know for myself…never tried it…maybe i should…lol :slight_smile: wish you well!

I understand where you’re coming from…people you appear fine therefore you are…I suffer from crohns disease and lived with my pain silently for many years before I was diagnosed…people can be so incosiderate of others feelings…it’s just something we have to live with…or remove the people from our life if it is to troubling…I myself believe in medical marjuana…I am not your tipical pothead…but have self medicated for years…some of my Drs. think it was how I sustained my weight for so many years considering the extensivness of my disease…with my illness I use it for pain as well as activating my appetite and calming the nausea…still I get judged by many for smoking pot…not to sure if I care anymore…many years ago before I was diagnosed with crohns disease…my brother-in-law (who was a Med. school student @ University of Washington) notice I was losing alot of weigh and was often in pain…we dicussed my problems and how I’d been to many Drs. but they couldn’t find anything…I was perscribed mass amounts of pain and nausea meds but they weren’t for me…they made me feel worse…at this time he memtioned that some people with my symptoms can find releif from pot smoking…I thought he was crazy…I wasn’t a stoner and had never even thought about smoking pot…I was the “say no to drugs type”…after many discussions and out of pure deperation I tried it…Wow I could eat and digest the food somewhat…by that I mean I didn’t vomit after I ate…that was new I had been vomiting after almost every meal for years I believe about 8…so at 20 years old I became a pot smoker…I was not actually diagnosed for thirteen more years…I saw many Drs. in that time but they could just never figure it out…So anyway after this long story I was diagnosed with a very serious case of crohns disease one of the worst ones seen in the state of Washington…Drs. wondered how I maintained for so long with disease this extensive I told my Drs. about he marjuana use they too though it might be how I was able to keep my weight healthy and maybe even how I had two successful prenancies…before smoking pot I had two pregs that resulted in my babies being born with neurotubal defects (related to spinobifita) the two pregs where smoked pot as needed resulted in 2 healthy babies…any way gotta jam but can relate to your situation…JennVelzy

This is all so true, and after my second child my pain only got worse. And it really sucks because people that are out to only get drugs are making it so difficult for people who are actually in pain. My past two doctors had to shut their offices down because of this. I mean it makes me so nervous even though I walk in MRI’s in hand I still don’t feel comfortable being honost and getting the help I need with my pain because I don’t want to be seen as a junkie.

Sad but true that is why we’ve got to really be thankful for this avenue to discuse own struggle…not only does it help us but it helps others…just know there is someone out there who can relate…relief…

I have kind of interesting story about the births of my children that relates to the use of medical marjuana…I’m going to write about in my journal when I am through I will let you all know…it’s quite ineresting…if your interested…^.- JennVelzy

Thanks bricklayer, that really means alot…

the same thing goes for myself…anyone can feel free to drop me a private message ANYTIME if you need anything…

thank you all so much for your support…

If I only had my vicodin…my back is KILLING me!!!

sounds like that would make for a very long and painful day! Yuck! Can you take your pain meds right before you go?? Does your son need to know if you take your meds with you?? I think I would probably take them with me and just not even mention it to him…I know how bad I hurt just after sitting at gymnastics for 2 hours or my sons wrestling tournaments…i’m sure your pain is much worse than mine.

I can relate to your pain right now…after taking a 4 hour CPR class and then working an 8 hour shift I’m not moving too quickly right now! ouch!

I just got back from NYC and if you have crippling pain dont visit there.You have to walk everywhere and there are no eliavtors down to the subway.So you must endure and climb the stairs.It was fun but it was a total nightmare at the same time.Not all the percocet in the world can get you through that city.I am now gritting my teeth about my messy house and I can harldy move to do anything about it.

i know what you all are saying.my new doc is so anti drug im seeking a new doc there is just to many great drugs out there to walk around in pain.i finally got the nerve to call him fri and say hey how about a pain doc he said k so monday im makin a appointment.anxious to see the outcome.

Hi im new here and just joined today but i know where you all are coming from. My pain has been caused by a work inury i had 2 yrs ago. Ive tried just about everything and the only thing i found helped me at all was the rehab pool where the water was very hot but was very soothing and i could actually move a little which i couldnt before. Also a message therpist helped some too. Its really no fun living day to day with pain and i wish there was something we could all do to take it away. THanks so much for listening its nice to know your not alone.

Hi im new here and just joined today but i know where you all are coming from. My pain has been caused by a work inury i had 2 yrs ago. Ive tried just about everything and the only thing i found helped me at all was the rehab pool where the water was very hot but was very soothing and i could actually move a little which i couldnt before. Also a message therpist helped some too. Its really no fun living day to day with pain and i wish there was something we could all do to take it away. THanks so much for listening its nice to know your not alone.

Welcome Momado and dj008,
dj, I would reccomend you get the shot! Is it the kind where you go into the hospital to get or in the docs office? I had a steroid injection in my neck in the hospital and it did wonders…my arms and hand would go numb…and it lasted over 6 months pain free…since then, I don’t get the numbness too often…
Now, I had the same thing done to my lumbar spine and it didn’t help at all. It hurt having it done too. Both shots were from the same doc…
So anyway, point is, I’d try it. If it works, GREAT! If it doesn’t, well, you’re no worse off and can proceed to the next step.
Good luck!
Sue

ok, just complaining for a sec…hoping maybe it will help!!! my back is killing me…i am half way thru a double shift at work…i swear there is something sticking in back shooting pain the whole way down my leg…i really wish someone could fix me!!! (without the intervention of drugs and or a doc!!!)

i really hope you are all feeling good!!! because right now i could cry! (but i won’t…that would ruin my image of bitch charge nurse!!!lol)

Hi Suewho, thanks for your thoughts on my injection-its in the hospital at the Pain Management department half day job. and the injection will be at C7/T1 (neck) I think i will go for it-firstly you have to try everything and secondly i’ll always think what if it would have worked (if i dont go 4 it) So thanks for your advice!

Now your matress, what sort of bed is it?
Mine was is a wooden framed one, with wooden slats that support the matress-i unscrewed the slats and turned them over, and for a while it worked!
You could try one of those thinner matresses you can get to go over your original matress (i take it you have tryed turning it?!) Or just another thick duvet under the bed sheet helps stop those springs digging in. As you can tell i have been through the same process! (Still waiting to get a new matress!) I hope this helps

We have one of those foot thick pillow top mattresses so we can’t flip it. It’s one of those sleigh beds so I wouldn’t know how to take it apart…sweet story here…my husband went and got us a whole new bedroom set while I was in the hospital after my surgery…so when I came home and was facing 3 months in bed it would be pleasant…isn’t he a sweetie? Before that, we had a 20 year old mattress on a metal frame with no headboard…our room looked like a college dorm.
Anyway, I’ll go take a look at those mattress toppers…maybe that’ll help.