Stomach problems and DI

I have had Diabetes Insipidus for almost 12 years (since I was 16), but I was only diagnosed about 2 years ago. Just like most everyone else, the doctors kept telling me it was healthy to drink so much. About the time that all of my drinking started, I also started having a lot of stomach problems. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced that? It is a chronic problem that I deal with everyday. My right lower abdomen feels like it has a lump and my intestines are twisted. I am unable to go to the bathroom unless I lie on my back for awhile or on my left side. I get severe cramps that are not relieved unless I can lie down. I also get a lot of trapped gas and it feels like a constant spasm in my side. I have been tested for everything and the doctor’s can not find anything wrong, but it is still a constant struggle to deal with it. It usually is worse after eating and better if I can go to the bathroom, but I always feel that there is still more to go. My endocrinologist thought that the problems would go away once I started the DDAVP but they haven’t. I’m also not the best at sticking with the spray. I love that I don’t have to drink all of the time, but it lasts so long that I get frustrated that I can’t go to the bathroom for so long. I was just wondering if anyone else has these problems or any recommendations on getting things under control? I would appreciate any advice that anyone has to offer. Thanks!! = )

Hi Rainstorm23

I experienced something similar about 10 years ago. My stomach hurt and was
nauseated and had cramps in my intestines. Was certainly not interested in
food but lying down did seem to help. I had a scope down the throat and up
the bottom end and my doctor said that my stomach and my intestines had
gotten out of sync. I also have a spastic bowel. He put me on
Apo-Domperidone 10 mg. to be taken 30 minutes before each meal. Can’t tell
you what a difference it made in the matter of a few days. You may want to
enquire about this medication. The doctor said I would have to probably
take for the rest of my life, but I’ve found I can go for months without
needing to be medicated. I certainly know the symptoms when it starts
again. Best of luck.

Gail
-----Original Message-----
From: rainstorm23 [mailto:diabetes-insipidus-cpt6708@lists.careplace.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2007 9:33 PM
To: gail_pearson@sympatico.ca
Subject: [diabetes-insipidus] stomach problems and DI

Gail,

Thanks so much for the advice! I will def. look into that. I would love to have some relief. I hate eating around people, going on vacations, etc., because I’m always worried. Thank you so much for the input, I really appreciate your time and advice!

lauren = )