Story about Forgiveness

Just ran across this on the interweb and found it relevant to my life and thought I would share.

Two Tibetan Monks meet each other a few years after being released from prison, where they had been tortured by their jailers.

“Have you forgiven them?” asks the first

“I will never forgive them! Never!” replies the second

"Well," says the first monk, “I guess they still have you in prison, don’t they?”

RE forgiveness…nice one, wastedyouth…wise wise words.

Resent someone…and they will "be with you when you wake…until you go to sleep"resentment is another one forgiveness is easier than forgetting though…but then again, we live and learn and NOTHING is a waste of time if we have learned something!..about OURSELVES also.

So its all good…lol…!

I wish it was that easy. Self reflection is an important part of learning the lesson. During self reflection you get pissed off, depressed, lonely, you cry, you feel sorry for yourself, you wonder why, you question and come to a conclusion. Learning the lesson helps you let go. Letting go is the first step in forgiveness. Jesus said “forgive them father for they know not what they do”. This is very true of narcissists.

aah…but if someone hurt them they cant forgive…we dO know what we are doing…and are held culpable.a bit of a"one-way street perhaps.?
are we giving them a “cop out”,even though they dont care if they are forgiven or not.
I think personally that the forgiveness releases us…like the second buddhist said in wastedyouths post.

Exactly, “forgive them father for they know not what they do”. A narcissist doesn’t even know who he/she is. Do you think they really understand what they are doing? It really sucks to be them, no healthy relationships, never being satisified with anything or anyone, etc. Forgiveness shows mercy and releases us to move on.

I’m still working on the forgiving part. LOL

Sometimes I think the person I need to forgive is myself.

why do you have to forgive yourself for caring about another human being…N or not…the only thing that we need to forgive ourselves for…is caring too much perhaps?

Forgive myself for not knowing when to walk away. My Ex showed his colors right away in the relationship. It’s good to have compassion. But I must also learn compassion for myself.

you are SO right there…love and trust yourself
i dont think there is ONE person on here who hasnt"beaten themselves up"about putting up with such"crap"…time to give ourselves a break!?