Stress and a low thyroid

Does having a low thyroid lower tollerance for handling stress even though Tsh levels say normal

Hi Phoebe-
I have a low thyroid myself.I am 45 and have been on meds for it for about 10 years I think.I have never read that it could affect how well someone tolerates stress.But who knows.I am not a doctor.I am however more inclined to think that the ability to handle stress is more affected by our basic personalities as well as how good our support system of friends and family is.Hope something I’ve said helps you.I do know that depression can be a common thing with hypothyroidism.
Sharon :slight_smile:

What was your TSH level? The biggest problem I have found out that most drs go with the whole concept that unless your TSH level is above a 6.0 your not considered hypo but you still FEEL hypo. What I learned is that as of 2003 the National Academy of Endocrinologist has stated that any TSH level above a 3.0 is actually hypo however most labs refuse to go by these standards. WHY??? I am not quite sure. I now fight with my PA anytime my levels come back higher than 3.0 to get it straightened out.

Hope this helps

Denise

This is my biggest pet peeve about Endo’s. Every person is different as far as what their hormone levels should be. I mean there is a normal RANGE - but where we’re most comfortable within that normal range is different for everyone.
I’m most comfortable in the upper 2’s.
Some are most comfortable in the lower numbers.
I have fired so many Endo drs because of this. When I’ve told them that I feel I’m low on my thyroid hormone - could they check it please…and they call me back - no, you’re fine - it’s within normal range - I ask what’s the number. They tell me it’s 1 or lower. I tell them that’s not normal for me I need a change in meds. Nope, doc says it’s ok. 1 week later - I’m crashed on the couch sleeping 15 hours a day. Duh - I told you that a week ago…
There’s a great website written by and advocate and patient - Mary Shoman.
www.thyroid.about.com.

Her theory is that you are a patient, not a number. If you’re still not feeling well and your numbers are in the normal range then you’re not properly medicated. Yes, it may take a few weeks for your medications to settle in, however, you need be active in your health and you need to be an advocate for yourself in your endo’s office. If you’re not feeling well and you’ve been on the same dosage for 4 weeks and you’re in the normal range - you may need a medication adjustment. Ask the doc to just try it.

I’ve finally found an endo - after being diagnosed since 1998 that is actually willing to listen to me regarding my numbers. Now when I go in to her at the end of this month and tell her that my tsh has been fluctuating - and ask her why - I’ll get an answer and we’ll discuss a change in my medication.
You should be a partner in your health.
And yes, stress like many things such as recent illness can affect your thyroid - which is why it’s good to take notes on recent events, medication changes, health changes - etc with you to your doctor.

My opinions - a bit strong, I know.

linda

It sounds like an adrenal issue, IMO. Have you had your cortisol levels checked? Perhaps your cortisol levels are low. The 24 hour saliva test is best to check your cortisol levels. TSH is a pituitary hormone, and normal does not mean optimal.