Stress testing

Has anyone undergone a chemicaly induced stress test ( in order to test heart function)? When I was in Hospital a few day’s ago cardiologist suggested that I think about having it done, not immediate but good idea. My concern is the effect on FMD I have it in both carotids . I did ask my neuro and she said that she didn’t think there would be a problem as it is an excellant group with state of the art equipment … Just wondering if any of you have had it and what your experiences have been. I’m probably being overly anxious but…better that anyway thanks for any feedback…

I have heard of this test but have not had it. The doctor wanted me to take a stress test a couple months ago, but I am scared of them. I have had two friends die shortly after taking a stress test. I might aske my doctor about this type of test.

I personally have not had a nuclear stress test. I have had a Treadmill Stress Bruce Protocol, exercise echocardiogram, also an oxygen consuption study. I believe they are simular that they look at your heart function while your heart is under “stress” meaning it is working under circumstances other than rest ie: exercise/ movement. Sometimes they will use medication to get your heart in that mode. Here is a link that may be helpful.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nuclear-stress-test/AN00168

Doctors do these tests when they believe their might be a problem. The problem could be what is causing the heart attacks and not the actual tests. My husband had a massive heart attack after the treadmill test (well…a week later) but was told afterward that the chemical test would have shown the problem beforehand much better than the actual treadmill test. Don’t get me wrong because a treadmill test can still be a very useful tool and a very helpful way of saving many lives. I would bet my life that more lives have been saved rather than lost due to any type of heart testing, which there are risks associated with. My husband continues to have treadmill tests, rotated with the chemical type test because he still has faith in his doctor and these tests.

There are some people that also believe seat belts kill people because in some rare cases people have been killed or injured because of them, but in most cases they do save lives. Its a hard call when you know someone that lost their life because of a seatbelt or test but these cases are rare and shouldn’t scare you. If any doctor wanted or beleived that a test was important for me, I would go through with it.