Strokes

Hello,

If you have had a stroke how has it affected you both physically and emotionally?

Mine robbed me of my speech, memory, cognitive issues as well as other bits and pieces.  My memory was excellent, I did not have to write anything down - now I must list down what to do each day or it just disappears into never never land.

I forget everything - reruns are new to me 90% of the time (we could be a good thing with todays TV.

Kind regards,

Sandy

I had a major hemorrage which is a form of stroke- there was not a clot. The damage is done by the amount of blood that is trapped in the small area of the enclosed skull. There was a plan to insert a shunt a few days after my brain aneurysms were clipped to drain the blood but the blood magically disappeared. The day the blood disappeared- I passed a huge amount of blood in my urine. The drs said it was not from the brain but yet the brain blood went away the same day. They actually treated me for a bladder infection even though my urine  showed no bacteria.

My surgeon told my family that however I was after 2 weeks would probably be permanent. I was pretty crazy for the two weeks- my family has funny stories. After the two weeks they checked me for defecits. They had me pretend to write bills, climb stairs, touch my nose and stuff like that. I passed all tests. I was told I was a miracle. I started having short term memory loss and fatigue immediately. I tried to pass it off as meds but it has never gone away. I can focus and do one thing really well- better than most people. But if I juggle several things then something goes undone. I write my life on a wall calendar. I check it several times a day. I have even made a roster to plan each hour when there is much going on. I also have friends/family who call and remind me of things. I refuse to be embarrased so I ask for help. The tireness is sometimes  like "shutting down". I just have to sleep like it is the middle of the night. It happens less now since it has been 5 years. I have had testing done for my memory like doing things backwards and remembering faces. I did poor on the faces but really bad doing puzzles backwards. When I drive to unfamiliar places- I always get lost coming back. Now I know why. I can remember phone numbers that I called 25 yrs ago but few numbers routinly dialed since the  stroke. I was told there is an area that stores new short term memories and that is the area where I was affected. I see a casual person who looks familiar and I boldly walk up and ask who they are. I refuse to be embarrased. It is a medical thing and I do not want to look like an uppity snob. I have twins who are 11. I do not remember one name of any kid on their baseball team. I know if I pass them at the mall- I will probably not recognize them. If I get spoken to- then I say "hey- Baby.. How are you?"  All the other parents can yell names during the game- but not me. I know my two. I have organized phenomenal events but I really have to focus and write down everything. Of course the laundry gets forgotten (:

Hi Melva,

Nice to know others cannot multi-task either.  Now days if someone interupts me making dinner, it is doomed, something major will be forgotton.  I don't remember names either but I remember faces.  Strange how every stroke is different, even with the same deficits.

The fatigue description is very good - shutting down, and from what I can understand is very normal yet they cannot find out why.  My fatigue seems similar in that at a certain point (way to soon) I am done and can do no more - end of story.

I am learning to adjust to my new life but sometimes it is hard as parts just disappear.

Kind regards,

Sandy

Yea- but i know a few who are far worse off. One lady ended up blind. Another lady had to relearn how to dress and bathe. She will walk past me in a store and stare like she thinks I am familiar. I smile back and say “Hi Irene” I then quicky mention my husband who is her cousin. She will remember me then and she never has to mention she forgot. She always knew me before her hemorrage. I made a poster one time with “things to remember”. I had the good fortune to be born into a country with food. I have always seen a Dr when sick. I have really good kids. I can walk and run. I used this a lot when first diagnosed with the vascular problems. It is kinda scarey to realize I still have annies growing. I have a very otherwise healthy neighbor with no EDS/FMD. Yet he has a brain tumor. He has been given months to live. There is nothing they can do. I fully realize that I am better off than him anyday. He also has twins about the age of mine. There is so much out there- I just have to deal with me one day at a time.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Apr 23, 2007 12:28 PM
To: dbuck5@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [fmd] Strokes

Hi Melva,

Your “Things to Remember” board was just the answer I was looking for to solve a problem wall in the kitchen. I had thought to try stencilling and put a quote or two on it but your “Things to Remember” is the perfect idea to put there.

You have made my day as I now have something fun to plan that will also help me on those down days. Thank You!

Kind regards,
Sandy

Hi Melva,

I have FMD and had both renal arteries stented two years ago. So far so good. It did not help my hypertension though as we had hoped. I have had a couple of TIA’s
My daughter had a stroke and brain surgery at age 46. She was another miracle. She did have a temp. stent to get rid of the blood left on her brain after surgery. It was removed after three weeks. She has recovered more than the DR. gave us any hope of. We are praying she never has another aneurysum.

They expected she would go into a long rehab program but she came home two weeks after the surgery.
She is able to live a wonderful life. Her only problems are, continuing hypertension (for which she takes meds.)
She has some visual problems, cannot see well overhead, otherwise she can see to drive, read, and do normal activities.
She does has some short term memory problems and has trouble staying on task and multi-tasking.She has a great sense of humor, sometimes when she can’t think of something she is trying to say, she will laugh and say I had brain surgery, what’s your excuse?

We have both wondered if FMD has any connection.

Keep up the Good Work! I was encouraged by your post. And yes, Miracles do happen !

My Doctor never told me I had a stroke, but before my carotid endartectomy I had the worst headache pain of my life and one side of my head hurt even to comb my hair. When I woke from surgery my headache pain was even worse.
I have had trouble multi tasking, it makes me frantic, I have had trouble remembering, I will ask my husband something and then ask it again 5 minutes later or tell something and tell it again. I just last week put up a wall board to write messages to myself!!! I put up the wall board after I forgot to go to the doctor. The doctors office called to see why I didnt come in, I told them I forgot! I knew I had something that I was supposed to do that day, but I couldnt remember what it was. I forget what I am talking about midsentence. I am better than I was. I am good humored about it. I have a medical problem and I laugh and say, “oh well, I probably have brain damage” At times I still have sore spots on my head, I dont know what that is.