Teen Aspy Help!

I have a 13yo dtr who was dx with Aspy about 1 year ago. She has become more and more distant and all of her replies are in the “extremely sarcastic” tone. Then when I try to explain that her reply was inappropriate and unnecessary she blows up and cries and “nobody understands me (true)” and “I don’t understand what I did wrong.” But then she can’t calm down enough to listen to reason and we keep going around and around and around. She has absolutely no friends and doesn’t want to leave the house in order to make friends. She’s obssessed with Japanese Anime and Photoshop and would spend 24 hours a day on the computer if we allowed it. As long as she’s on there creating, she’s deliriously happy. But when she can’t get on the computer she paces through the downstairs of the house, back and forth for hours. She says she’s thinking. She won’t go outside in our big back yard; she won’t interact any more than absolutely necessary with her 11 yo sister; and she only interacts with us when she has something on her computer she wants to show us. I’ve taken her to a counselor but he really wasn’t prepared to handle Aspy and no one else in town seems to know much. Her psychiatrist checks her medication every 3 to 6 months, he’s an hour’s drive away, and has no suggestions to deal with her. I’m at my wits end and could really use some serious guidance.

Have a look at these sites.

Food changes may help to reduce her anxiety and obsessive behaviour. It did for me (Age 29 with AS). You have to be very systematic though to find the foods she reacts to.

Sue Dengate has some very good books also that provide a lot of information about this and methods to use to start dietary changes.

Regards

Kingfan

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/factsheets/Factautism.htm

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/factsheets/FactODD.htm

http://www.immuneweb.org/articles/slimak.html

Scroll down the page to get to further factsheets:

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/

Hi Pam

I just wanted to give you a quick hug of support and let you know I know exactly where you are coming from. My son Jake sounds just like your daughter. I know how frustrating it can be. As we speak it’s 10 am and he is still in bed cause I haven’t woke him up yet, but I kinda am enjoying the peace and quiet.

I keep saying that we need to find a support group here in our area so he can meet other kids like him, and he just answers saying" no mom, your the one who needs support" well duh?!

Anyways…he was just recently dignoised after another hospital stay and med change. He is adhd and they thought bipolar for ages cause of the depression. But the depressdion only come his socail issues with his peers and feeling left out. High school sucks for him. I have even homeschooled him before but he drove both of us nuts. He sabotaged his 9th grade year `this past year just so he could start over with a new group of kids. At least that was his reasoning. It just stinks cause he is so smart, but that is part of the problem too, he has been told that by so many people when he doesn’t live up to that expectation he really gets down on himself.he sets no goals and has no motivation. He thinks he will just live off the land kinda mentality.

So I know where you are coming from

-Christine

Hello Pam,

Maybe a group where she can meet friends and work on social skills would help?

I wanted to share information about a group that I recently found. This group was recommended for our 9-year-old by his pediatrician. It’s called Friendship Builders (www.friendshipbuilders.info). Kids ages 4 - 18 are placed in small groups in which they are taught and practice social skills. From what I understand, there are 22 skills they work on. Each is covered for a few weeks, with the whole program taking somewhere around 60 weeks.

It sounds promising and we are due to begin in a couple of weeks. If you’re interested, I’d be happy to share our thoughts and experiences once my son starts. Hang in there and know you aren’t alone!

Leeann

where is this located?
----- Original Message -----
To: mabeckoff@comcast.net
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 6:03 PM
Subject: Re: [aspergers] Teen Aspy Help!

You know, I’m not sure if there is a main office. From what I understand they meet in southern Orange County. I was told they often use the leaders’ homes to provide a natural setting. But, depending on the social skill might go to a public place. I’m sure it depends on the skill being taught and the age of the children. My son’s group is scheduled to meet at Mission Hills Community Church in Rancho Santa Margarita.

Leeann